406 handbrake

I am having problems getting my 406 through an MOT. Everything passes except the handbrake. On the first test the tester snapped the cable trying to get the brake come on sufficiently to pass the test

I have replaced all three parts of the handbrake cable, stripped the whole mechanism down and changed the shoes. Degreased what shouldn?t have grease on and greased what should have. Everything moves smoothly but the handbrake is still pants

I have adjusted the cable and the internal knurly bolt until the shoes are just shy of the drum.

Anyone have any thoughts? Will new drums/discs make much of a difference

Putting the shoes in it appears there is only one way they will fit so the return springs don?t pop off. This puts the shoes in with both the linings closest to the expander, on other cars with drum brakes the shoes always fit so one shoe?s lining is away from the expander and the other close to it. Are the shoes in correctly or have I been sold duff shoes

A lot of questions I know for a newbee but Ii am all out of ideas

-- Niannorth

View this thread:

Send from

Niannorth

What type of hanbrake do you have? Some models have rear drum brakes which double as the handbrake, others have rear disk brakes and a small brake drum in the centre for the handbrake.

Haynes shows a picture of the ordinary drum brakes and they are as you describe, with both linings closest to the expander. Further than this I cannot help.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

My car has the rear disc with the inner handbrake drum. I have stripped it all down again but still do not think it will pass, I will take it for a test next week

-- Niannorth

View this thread:

Send from

Niannorth

Good luck.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

give the rear drum a good spray with brake cleaner that will do the trick. if not good luck.

Reply to
Chris

Well I have bitten the bullet and bought new disks/drums and shoes etc as I tried everything I could think of. As it was only £16 a disc it is not too bad. I'll let you know how I get on

-- Niannorth

View this thread:

Send from

Niannorth

so did u take it for its m.o.t?

Reply to
Chris

Just picked the discs up yesterday night and have not had chance to fit them. The shoes I bought appear to be of a much softer compound than the ones that are on the car and have had the lining chamfered at one end so appear to be a far better bet than the last lot

Will fit them tonight or tomorrow and will give you an update

-- Niannorth

View this thread:

Send from

Niannorth

All changed and I now have aworking handbrake. Not that it is the best I have ever come across! Will be getting a brake test prior to putting it in for the MOT. One thing I like about the peugeot rear brakes is you don't have to take the caliper off to change the disc

-- Niannorth

View this thread:

Send from

Niannorth

So your happy now you have done it all? i know i would be.all i got to do to mine give it a full service when i get time.and got to replace rear engine mount.once again well done.

Reply to
Chris