1994 Ford Ranger 4cyl Clutch problems

I went to shift the other day and there was no tension on the pedal. Went right to the floor. Was able to get it into gear to get home. Dose this mean the clutch master cylinder is bad or what? How do you tell if it is the master cylinder. I checked the reservoir and it was empty. Could it be that a line came off down by the transmission? It has been to cold out to get on the ground to check.

Thanks

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Sounds like you have a leak. I would take it to a competent mechanic to have it checked.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

I went through this several years ago with a 93.

Had to have the clutch slave cylinder replaced, and they have to pull the trans to do it, so I had a new clutch installed too.

There are some plastic plugs on top of the trans that fall out, they install new ones and silicone them in so they don't come out. You can try filling the reservior and maybe it will work, but everything I found about bleeding the sytem said good luck unless you knew what you were doing.

Dick Cheney

More likely the slave cylinder is leaking, after all it is over 15 years old

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Actually it is 10 years old. Went through my records and had to have it replaced when I was on a trip. My neighbor said he will replace it for me as soon as the weather warms up. It is nice to have good neighbors. He has done it before on his own, so that works. Now the weather has to cooperate!

Chris

Reply to
Chris