1994 Mercury Grand Marque

I keep getting a code 189 (adaptive fuel limit reached, left side).

I have a new Fuel filter, Fuel Pressure Regulator, Throttle position sensor, Vehical speed sensor, and Oxygen sensor left side.

Any clues?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Puzzled Ed

"Puzzled Ed" wrote in news:1129395551.662564.314560 @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

didja 'read 'your plugs?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

"Puzzled Ed" wrote in news:1129395551.662564.314560 @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

And I bet you got some other symptoms... wanna let us in on them?

Or do we have to guess?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Plugs read fine, just changed them recently and all were nice and tan, right rear a lil more crusty than the others, but color still good and all were dry.

Yes there was one other symptom, but I thought unrelated: After car sits for many hours (over night or in work parking lot), regardless if outside temp is 50f or 90f,..... it coughs and sputters for about 3 city blocks, then clears up and runs near perfect. Very slight ruff idle at stoplites after warmup, but absolutely no cough or sputter.

Does the cough and sputter thing every single time (after the long sit only), and ALWAYS clears up within 3 citi blocks.

Reply to
Puzzled Ed

"Puzzled Ed" wrote in news:1129397244.704521.99200 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

then the plug read confuses me a little.

otherwise was thinking leaky or plugged injectors.

MAF or ECT sensor?..

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I think I would be looking for a vacuum leak. Maybe a hose that softens and closes a bit after warming a bit. I went nutz looking for a similar code once and finally found a split hose. New hose fixed it and a few other things I had ignored, like slow A/C controls.

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

I had an old Crown Vic with 5 lliter EFI and an AOD that gave persistent codes despite several rounds of troubleshooting. Eventually it generated a code not on the list. I called my uncle and asked him what it meant.

After looking around and asking his buddies in Dearborn, he finally figured it meant to pull the EFI, ignition and computer out and put a carb and a Mallory distributor on, cut out the catalytic conveter, and get rid of the air pump. He must have been right because the car gave many trouble free miles thereafter.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

I had that code on a 93, replaced both ACT and ECT (both gave some odd readings) and vehicle was fine. symptoms were rough starting but only in cold weather and usually only when it was 10 deg F and colder. started great and -15 below though...

Reply to
dmac

Changed both the air temp sensor and engine coolant sensore this morning.

I still get the code 189 (adaptive fuel limit reached, left side). Driving me nuts!

No visual sign of weak vacuum lines.

I ran crappy fuel for a few months, perhaps some of my injectors are dirty. Just completed a tank of quality fuel system cleaner and will stick with BP 93 octane for a while and hope it clears up on it's own.

Totally lost here.

But I truly appreciate all the input from you folks! Thank you.

BTW: Seems to be running better, just keeps giving me that pesky code!

Reply to
Puzzled Ed

Reseated the connector plug on rightside (opposite side) oxy sensor, filled up with BP 93. Short test ride, no code. Nice smooth idle. (Code always said left side).

Knocking on wood, will know better tomorrow, after 40 mile round trip to work.

The startup sputter I suspect is bleed back thru the fuel pump check valve, and will stay with me, but if I can keep from getting codes after warm-up, I shall be content.

Reply to
Puzzled Ed

If I remember right, that code means the engine controls have enriched the fuel mix as much as possible. Translated, too much air, not enough fuel. It can be as simple as a bad EGO but they don't fail as often as Bosch and the other makers want you to think. Check fuel pressure on the rail both at idle and higher rpm. If you haven't replaced the fuel filter, do it. It isn't hard or expensive. (I am on the road and don't have your earlier posts to read.)

I find vacuum problems several ways. I can often hear the whistle they make when the engine is running. Try wiggling lines a bit. Sometimes a brief shot of carb cleaner at bends and junctions will cause a change in idle revealing the leak. I recently fixed the same code on my '95 CV by replacing a short piece of rubber tube for the PCV. There is a short rubber piece at the PCV valve, then it becomes metal tube. Down behind the throttle body is another short rubber piece that connects to the throttle body. It had a curve in it and there was a hole in the inside part of the curve. I didn't see it even though I looked at it several times. It almost looked like the tube had a molded Y in it until I looked hard at it (then pulled it out to see up close.)

A 3" piece of rubber tube fixed it. It is sure worth a close look.

You might also have a sticky IAC causing poor idle until it warms up. Keep looking, you'll find it.

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

My latest suspition is fuel pump. After changing too many sensors, the symptoms went away (only the cough right after starting remained),..... but only after filling the fuel tank, did the engine light quit coming on..

My fear is that when the fuel gets low again, my submersible fuel pump might prove to be weak.

I'll know more towards the end of the week when the fuel gets low. The last thing I did before fueling up, was reseat the plug on the right side oxysensor (the left was replaced earlier in the game). Maybe I got lucky, or maybe I need a fuel pump.

I will recheck the vacuum lines though.

Thanks for the input.

Reply to
Puzzled Ed

Got down to 5/8 tank before engine lite came back. Code 181, and 189. Refilled, code goes away.

189 = Addaptive fuel limit reached, left side

181 = Engine fuel Temperature sensor circuit open, shorted or grounded (assuming this sensor is in the pump)

Thinking Fuel Pump is dying.

Anyone agree?

Reply to
Puzzled Ed

The code won't "go away" by filling the tank, it's stored in Continuous Memory.The fault just wasn't present for a while. DTC 181- Fuel system was lean at part throttle Single, Right or Rear HO2S - DTC 189- Fuel system was lean at part throttle - Left or Front HO2S (From

Sounds like: Vacuum leak, Restricted fuel filter, or low fuel pressure to me.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

The metal tube going to the EGR Valve, coming from the exhaust (I just noticed tonight) has a crack in it (highlighted with black soot) between the exhaust and the EGR valve. This crack goes almost half of the perimeter of the tube.

Would this create symptoms such as low vacuum or low fuel pressure?

I smeared some sylicone over the crack for diagnosing purposes, but am letting it set overnight before driving.

Reply to
Puzzled Ed

I tried killing my "keep alive" memory (disconnecting battery during checklite reading) so as to let the car relearn everything. I haven't test drove it enough yet (ten miles or so),.... but so far I am not getting any codes.

Again,...knocking on wood.

BTW: Visually, the gas cap seal looks good, but it is 11 years old. I will replace it next time I am near the parts store.

Reply to
Puzzled Ed

After about 50 miles of "relearning" (keep alive memorey),.... the same friggin' codes came back. 181 & 189. A few hundred dollars and multiple new sensors, and I am back at square one.

The car will be at a shop hopefully by this weekend, to let someone else diagnose it for me. Geeze I wish I had the money to just trade it in.

Reply to
Puzzled Ed

It doesn't sound like the sensors are lying, the engine is apparently running lean.

Bill

Reply to
Berkshire Bill

Check the vacuun line for the PCV all the way back to the throttle body. There is an elbow at the rear of the TB that gets soft and produces a vacuum leak, usually on the bottom where you can't see it. I didn't look back in the posts to see if you had cleaned the MAF sensor. If not, do it. This can also cause lean codes. Here's how:

Tom Adkins