1994 Mercury Grand Marque

I followed the PCV line tonight, even used a mirror to view the bottom,.... "looks" okay.

However, I followed the instructions in that link to clean the MAF sensor, and found the inlet side of the probes covered in "fuzzies". This seems very promising.

I cleared my codes, but won't be able to test drive it until tomorrow. (Amazing how a small cutting disk on a Dremel tool can turn those Tamperproof Torque screws into flat head screews)!

I very much appreciate everyones efforts in posting ideas. I will certainly let you know how the story ends.

Reply to
Puzzled Ed

If you had "fuzzies" on the MAF, then that's "a" problem. It may very well be "the" problem. Please let us know what happens.

(Amazing how a small cutting disk on a Dremel tool can turn those Tamperproof Torque screws into flat head screews) Ouch. That just hurts my technician sensibilities, but, well, if it works.... Those screws are geting to be common, less than $10 will get you a good set of bits in case you ever need them again FYI. Good luck, Tom

Reply to
Tom Adkins

LOL! I had to cut those screws to get the job done, but you are correct about "needing" them in my box and I shall get some soon.

Yes,... the Fuzzies were "the" problem!!!!!!! Yeee Ha!!!!!

40 miles and no check engine light,..... and bigger than that, my "other" problem was solved as well! Bonus!

For those that didn't catch the opening post: My "other" problem was

---- after setting all day, the car would cough and feal weak for aprox 3 citi blocks, then clear up (consistently). I thought this was bleadback of fuel pressure thru the fuel pump checkvalve (and I thought it was unrelated). Apperently it was starving for fuel while cold, due to the MAF sensor "lying" about air flow.

Yes, finally, she is CURED!

I big thank you to all who had contributed! My hat is off to you!

Reply to
Puzzled Ed

Ironic,.... still had a ruff idle with occssional stall. (Lean problem history though).

Ended up actually replacing the MAF (wasted dollars).

Okay, I feel like an idiot, (but a happy idiot). Mine did indeed turn out to be a vacuum leak,.... the same vacuum leak that everybody and thier brother told me to look for.

I don't know how I missed it, I had looked three times and used mirrors in the process.

But the infamous hose that leads from the Pcv valve, to the manifold, all the way at the manifold,... (I could not believe my eyes) had this big crack right on the elbow, at least two inches long. I am stunned,.... yet without a testdrive, I am convinced that my problems are over.

Thank you so much everybody!

Reply to
Puzzled Ed

I am sure your car will drive like new. It took me months to find it when mine died. I knew what it had to be - it hid very well.

Congrats!

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayon