1995 Taurus front end problem

While making a right turn I felt something 'give' in the front end and the steering wheel had to be helped back into straight position. Now the steering wheel is at 10 and 4 o'clock position for the car to go straight. Our mechanic had it and decided it was a broken bolt in the sub frame. He didn't have the equipment to fix it because he said he needed a second lift to hold everything up while the car was on the lift. We drove the car back home and have an appointment somewhere else

There was a recall for 'subframe plates' but we were told by the Ford dealer in town that this wouldn't affect the steering. Now when I make a right turn I can feel something bumping underneath as if something is hitting the steering column ( I can feel the vibration in the wheel) and it's harder to turn left than right...although just a little. Needless to say, I've been driving very carefully and very little.

Are we looking at a major repair? Thanks in advance for any info.

Margie

Reply to
Margie

Well, if you broke a sub frame mount and your mechanic could not fix it for lack of "tools", find a new mechanic. He is full of it. A Taurus subframe has four large long bolts that go through a large 3 or 4 inch washer to hold the subframe to the uni body. jacking the car up with a floor jack and a impact wrench will take the old one off. They are stiff to get off, so a air impact is needed in most cases (long bolt too).

What happens is the washer rusts through and a corner of the subframe becomes detached from the uni body. It can cause erratic steering. Call in to your ford dealer with your Vin number and see if the car has had it done before and if it qualifies. If not, any mechanic worth his salt can buy the updated bolt and washer from the ford dealer and put it on.

How do i know this? I had it happen to me. This was before the recall. I bitched up a storm to ford to no avail and then to the NHTSA. Latter, they extended the recall to my car. I put mine on myself with a air impact and a floor jack. It would have been a bitch to do it without air tools though.

There are many things in a taurus front end that can go wrong.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

A broken subframe mount can cause exactly the problems you are describing. There was a recall for that problem but you need to get it repaired quickly whether it's covered or not. It's an easy repair IF the bolt doesn't twist off, but a bit more of a problem if it does. Not a major job either way. Bob

Reply to
Bob

Thank you (both Bobs)...I'm feeling better already. The repair is scheduled for Wednesday. And now I can at least know a little about what I'm talking about to the new mechanic. I had visions of some 500 dollar repair bill...just don't have the money for that. I'll tell them to change all bolts...guess the kit would come that way anyway. We were told they were all pretty corroded. The recall on the list only mentioned "subframe plate corrosion" and the repair person at the dealer claimed it wouldn't affect steering. (?) I guess the plate is something lesser.

Thanks again, Margie

Reply to
Margie

From what i have seen with mine, its not the bolts that go bad but the huge washers under the bolts. The washer rusts and then the head of the bolt pops through it cauaing the subframe the drop on that corner. These are very long bolts and have a locking type goo on there threads. That makes them a bitch to get out. I suppose you could just replace the washer. But for safety reasons, i would stick with a factory bolt and washer. Hopefully, its under recall and the dealer will fix it for free.