Power steering filter

My 200K+ taurus has somewhat dirty and grimy power steering fluid. I had to cut off the short return hose today and replace with a short line to get it going. I did not flush it today, buts that's on the list. Even with a flush, i'll bet there's crud in the system. So the question is, is there insertable power steering fluid filters? The logical place would be in the 3/8" return line right before the pump. What would be the difference between a fuel line metal can filter and a filter for PS fluid? I have never seen anyone discuss this before and was curious. I can get some fuel type can filters cheap. And it would be a short term deal anyway. Thoughts?

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ

I would just flush it best you can, put in new fluid and not worry about it.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

Yes. Go to

and in the "NAPA part number" field, enter NSP20FLT1 . Costs less than $3.

The fuel filter isn't meant to handle the extremely high pressure and heat of P/S fluid.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Just got a mesh PS filter from NAPA for my '87 Aerostar - $2.99 - just gets stuck inside the return line hose down the opening at the pump end. They also have a much more expensive magnetic PS filter, if you want to get really serious.

Reply to
87aerostar

Tell us Daniel, just how much pressure would one expect to find in the return line? Under most circumstances heat shouldn't be an issue either. I'm not saying the use of a fuel filter is a good idea, I just wouldn't rule it out for the reasons you gave. Bob

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Reply to
Bob Urz

Reply to
Tom Adkins

just stick a magnet inside pump can/reservoir.see if it collects anything.and put a ford fuel injected gas line filter in the return line for a short time.me.....i just flush em if the oil is really dirty.(black)

Reply to
oldkid