1998 Ford Escort

My car is making a horrible squeeling noise. It normally happens when it's warmed up &/or idling (or driving under 60 KMS). I've taken it to 2 mechanics & they've checked belts & transmission & couldn't tell me what the problem was. I've now taken it to the Ford dealership & they've told me it's my belts. I also have a problem with my VCT (variable cam timing) soleniod bolt. The dealership is going to charge me approx. $1700 to do this work. Is this accurate & what can I do if the squeeling noise isn't fixed after this repair?

Reply to
ITAN

I think $1700 sounds awfully expensive for a VCT bolt. I would take it to a different shop and get another estimate.

I would think that if you spend $1700, you can return it and say that they introduced a squeel. And for $1700, I think they should fix it.

jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Squeal like a pig, or

Post more information, could be a few things, but hard to tell from your description.

Scan for codes and post them if there are any found. Not familiar with VCT myself, so I can't comment on the dealer's quote, but probably inflated nonetheless.

Meanwhile, check out this article on VCT.

sleepdog

Squeal like a pig sounds about right. Very embarrasing through drive thru's. LOL! But, the noise stops when I drive. If I'm stopped at a light, I always put the car in neutral & step on the gas & the squeal goes stops. The codes found were P1380 & P1381.

Reply to
ITAN

Yup, according to the article I posted those codes are related to the VCT malfunctioning, give it a read they are mentioned in there.

Here's another link that might be helpful, scroll all the way down. You might be looking at a timing belt replacement. If so you might also want to consider replacing all the pulleys, water pump, oil solenoid and VCT while you're in there to avoid having to do it again anytime soon.

sleepdog

Excellent articles & information. Thank you so much for your help.

Reply to
ITAN

I drive a 1998 Escort ZX2 & need the following repaired/replaced:

- I have a problem with my VCT (variable cam timing). I need the soleniod gear & bolt replaced (code P1380 & P1381).

- timing belt replaced The Ford dealership quoted me aprox. $1700. I've called other mechanics for 2nd & 3rd opinions & no one will touch this repair. They are all telling me that it is too big of a job & they do not want to be liable. It has also been suggested that I consider replacing all pulleys, water pump & oil solenoid while they're in there. Does anyone know how much this should cost & if my only resort is getting it fixed at a dealership?

Reply to
ITAN

sounds like a deal to i have done lots

u bought the pos and all other tecks know ford is CRAP so they dont want to touch it

hurc ast

Reply to
fordsrus12473

What does "hurc ast" mean?

Reply to
ITAN

It's piglatin for "my ass hurts, will somebody help me remove this socket wrench?"

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

I was warned about that guy & everything I heard was true. What a LOSER!

Reply to
ITAN

Reply to
tom