1998 Ford Windstar P0708 code...What's this mean???

My gf's Windstar is acting up...Well...It never stopped acting up...but anyway...

The MIL is on (STILL...After 18 months) and spitting out a P0708: Transmission Range Sensor Circuit High Input code.

I have scoured the net and found nearly a million sites all telling me what the code is...But not what it means. The van's idle also surges momentarily when the fan is engaged. From the start of the surge, to the end of the surge lasts about 1 to 1 1/2 seconds, a delay of about 5 seconds and then repeats. Turn the fan off, and the van resumes normal operations (if you can call it normal). It does NOT do this when other accessories are engaged (radio, power windows, Laptop plugged into a

225watt power inverter, or any combination there-of).

Prior issues were a new Rack and Pinion installed (code was still there before the R&P was replaced), P0304 (or whatever the code is for cylinder #4 misfiring)...That was a $1,200 repair (with a lot of brake work done as well)...We ended up replacing all six injectors since 2 were DOA and 2 more were about a month from dying. And the serpentine belt and tensioner has been replaced.

Long story short (to late), if I had hair to pull out, I wouldn't anymore when it comes to this van.

Any thoughts / suggestions / donated sticks of dynamite?

Other details about the van:

Mid-year vehicle,

3.8L fuel injected, A/C (doesn't work, but still there)

Up for sale for $4,500! Plenty of new parts!

Thank you!

Reply to
jadedfalcon

I've the same problem before.Just realignment the range switch to fix. The switch may had been touched during the rack & pinion changed out. Try get a good Trans guy to adjust /align it.

Reply to
Kee