2.8, 2.9, 4.0 V-6 blocks the same?

I read somewhere that these engines all use the same block. Is this true?

Reply to
donutbandit

Not the same blocks... same 60° V-6 family though... Cologne engine family by Ford of Germany. Add in the 2.6L Capri engine too, it was also available in the Pinto and Bobcat. A very compact engine, the 4.0 I believe has a higher deck height than the others, and has gone through it's own evolution and product improvement as an engine series. Millions made... don't forget,

1 of every 4 SUVs on the road is an Explorer, and then add in all the derivatives / siblings (all AWD & some 2WD Aerostars, and Ranger pickups...).

Rob

* * *
Reply to
Trainfan1

V6 Pintos and Bobcats came with the 2.8, never the 2.6.

Gerard

Reply to
geewhiz

"Trainfan1" wrote in news:3fac3dbd_3@127.0.0.1:

Thanks. Reason I was asking - I have a '75 Bobcat wagon that I plan to do some work on. It's already been customized into a "Crusin' Wagon" by a previous owner. I was wondering about the possibility of using fuel injection off a later model 2.9. Or maybe just drop in a later model 2.9. I looked at one once, and it looks like they redesigned that troublesome thermostat setup the 2.8 had.

Reply to
donutbandit

Yup, we called it the 171 CID. 1975-1979 would be the the 2800 Capri II engine, I guess.

Rob

* * *
Reply to
Trainfan1

Try these groups for more Pinto/Bobcat experience.

Jinxter

People have installed 302 V8's in Pintos, should be plenty of room for a 2.9L

mike hunt

Reply to
MikeHunt