2000 Contour interlock cable now broke

I just took my 2000 Contour in for repair due to a problem with the Shift Interlock system. I could place the vehicle into drive with the key in lock position and without pushing on the brake. I was informed that this is a common problem and normally parts/labor would be just under $200. However they also found that the interlock cable was broke and so would cost well over $400 to repair. I decided to get a second opinion and picked the vehicle up. I have now noticed a change with the way it shifts. Before I could push the shift button in while in park and easily shift into gear. Now I can't push the button in while in park and I have to apply pressure to get into gear. I asked the dealer about this change and they couldn't offer any reason for this change. They did indicate that the cable broke at the connection point near the shifter. Based on before/after change did this cable get broke when they were working on this or am I being paranoid?

Reply to
scub

[...]

Even if it did break while they were working on it, it may not be their fault.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff