2000 Ford Taurus Anti Theft

To whom it may concern,

I came upon your website while looking for relevant information on the internet. I will jump right into the ongoing problem I am having with my vehicle. As I mentioned above I have a 2000 Ford Taurus SE V6, SOHC. About 4 months ago I started having this problem where I would be driving and the car would just shut off for a few moments and the start again. When the first occurrence happened the shop replaced the alternator. Car ran fine for about 4 weeks. Then all of a sudden I would get into the car and start moving and the car would die on me. It would not start when I turned the key but then when I waited a few minutes (20 to 1 hour) the car would then start. I had the same mechanic look at it again and he stated that it was the engine coolant temp. sensor. So I had that replaced. The car ran fine again for a few weeks and I had the same problem. This time I had the starter replaced. The car ran GREAT For a few more weeks and the check engine light came on and it stated that it was the EGR valve. I ran it for about week (to get the money to fix it) but while I was driving the car stalled out on the Interstate, I let it sit for a while and it started fine and I was able to drive home. However, later that same day I tried to start the car and the car would not start. The same mechanic came by the next day and stated that a signal was not getting to the starter. We took the EGR valve off and cleaned it to clear that code. Then he kinda (hotwired the starter) and the car started fine. The car has ran very well for about 2 weeks since then. Tonight, however, I was pulling out of my apartment community and the car died again and would not start. I let the car sit for a few and tried to start it again and it did not start. NO clicks, battery is fine, just no sound at all. However, I for some reason, reprogrammed the keyless entry and the car started up fine. It all sounds very strange to me and sounds as if I may be having a problem with the anti-theft system? Any help would very very much be appreciated.

Reply to
kevinranders

If the FACTORY anti-theft was active, the THEFT light would either be blinking fast or glow constantly. When it detects a properly coded key (assuming you have the full PATS system) it will stay on for about 3 seconds after starting, then go out. If the key is wrong, it will blink rapidly and disable the starter. I don't think any of the perimeter items would cause an engine shutdown. Once started, the alarm system shouldn't be able to shut down the engine. It only disables the starter.

If you have an after-market alarm system, then it may have a problem.

With either system, there are various relays to disable the starter, and one may be going bad. The starter solenoid itself may also have bad contacts, wiring, or corroded connections.

Have the battery LOAD tested. It could be getting weak and causing the computer or something else to malfunction.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann