2000 Mazda Protege Fuel Pump Question

Ok so recently as my 2000 mazda protege's (35,000 miles) gas tank reaches half empty and I am driving on the interstate or in a situation where it is going about 55+ mph the car engine revvs like it should be going but it fails to go/combust the gas. This is a scary situation as the car immeadiately slows down to a crawl.

The car seems to work fine as long as the gas tank is kept above half full. At first I thought I had some bad gasoline since filling the car seemed to make the car function properly. When I had the gas drained from the car, though, the fuel pump became really weak as the gas tank became more empty.

So I am assuming that this means that the fuel pump needs to be replaced, or does this mean that there is something else wrong with this 5 year old but seldomly driven car?

Thanks, Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

i dont understand ... if the car revvs up when this happens (rpms go higher) obviously the motor is getting more gas. no gas would slow down motor!! so ... if you still think its gas related start with replacing fuel filter.

Reply to
Rob