2000 Taurus Wagon - DPFE Sensor

Hello All,

We bought this car brand new in Sep. 2000. In Nov. 2002 I took this car in for the check engine light being on and they replaced the DPFE sensor. While it was still under thhe factory warranty they replaced it no charge.

Fast forward to today, the engine light is on again and I did a scan of the engine codes and it is only showing P0401, insufficient EGR flow. My research indicates that the most probable cause is the DPFE sensor.

We bought the six year extended warranty on this car when we got it new, so any idea is the DPFE sensor would again be covered again no charge? I forget what the emmissions warranty is on this vehicle, but wouldn't it be covered under that as well?

Thanks, Matt

Reply to
sleepdog

There are varying levels of extended warranty, so it depends on which one you purchased. It will not be covered under the emissions warranty.

The sensor change itself is a 5 minute job if your car is like my 2000 Taurus with the Duratec engine. The part is somewhere near $30 if my memory is correct. If you don't want to spend much money, just do it yourself. It's very easy.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

I'll have to check the terms of our six year warranty. Don't know if I want to go through the trouble with dealing with Ford service to save

30 bucks. I've seen prices mentioned for up to $70 from the Ford dealers, which was why I was considering pursuing this option.

Thanks, Matt

Reply to
sleepdog

I picked a up new DPFE sensor last week, installed it on Saturday.

The engine light went off by itself after a few cycles!

I think the Ford dealer will reimburse the cost of replacement since it is covered under a TSB or recall in May 2004. Have to follow up on this.

Thanks!

Reply to
sleepdog