2000 Taurus Wagon Front Bumper Cover - Replace

Somebody in my house (I don't want to name names) caused me to have to replace the front bumper cover on my 2000 Taurus Wagon. Strangely enough, I found a matching color OEM replacement at my local junk yard. How likely is that?

Anyway, how difficult is it to remove and replace? It is cold here in PA. I'm very handy, but I don't need to make a career of this at this time of year. Does anyone know of a good online resource, or an approximate time committment? I'd really like to have the party who damages the thing to get a little practice, too...if you know what I mean. Otherwise, I think I'm looking at about a $400/$500 bill at a body shop. He can't afford that.

Thanks all! Mugs

Reply to
jmlehman

1st... Never apply excessive heat to bumper surface. Heat could cause distortion of the bumper.
  1. Open hood.

  1. Remove headlamp assemblies.

  2. Remove two screws on each side in headlamp opening retaining front bumper cover to front fender.

  1. Remove one screw on each side retaining front bumper cover to front fender splash shield.

  2. Raise vehicle on hoist. Remove lower radiator air deflector.

  1. Remove LH front fender splash shield and RH front fender splash shield.

  2. Remove two nuts on each side retaining front bumper cover to front fenders and front fender splash shield screws.

  1. Remove five screws retaining front bumper cover to upper radiator support.

  2. Disconnect wiring connectors from parking/turn signal and side marker lamp assemblies as necessary.

  1. Remove front bumper cover from vehicle.

Installation

  1. Follow removal procedure in reverse order.

  1. Install locating pins to mating holes. Tighten screws in headlamp openings to 10.2-13.8 N-m (91-122 lb-in).

  2. Tighten screws to radiator support to 19-26 N-m (15-19 lb-ft).

  1. Tighten nuts to 7.6-10.4 N-m (68-92 lb-in).

  2. Tighten front fender splash shield screws to 1.2-1.8 N-m (11-15 lb-in).

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1