2002 Ford Escort cv axle question

okay, changed out driver side cv axle with some difficulty. Today ended up changing out the passenger side. Compared up the old one with the new one and I notice the remanufactured one I bought doesnt have the dynamic dampener on the half shaft. And I aint about to disasemble the newer one to slide the older one on the shaft. My question is....is it necessary? From the looks of it, its too small to even damper anything in my opinion...its just a small rubber thing with barely any weight and is attached similar to the both boots with a band..how the hell does this thing damper anything?

Reply to
Edwin T.

If it didn't do anythibng, do you think Ford would have spent the money to install iit in the first place? It doesn't take much to change the harmonic frequency of a system, so don't under estimate it value. On the other hand what it "fixed" might not be something you would notice. If the car seems fine to you without it, then you are good to go.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Well, Im not worrying about it now...cause after installing the autozone cv axle version, I found out they sold me a damm lemon. Test drive was with clickling and poping sounds on left turns. Right there I knew autozone should open up a fruit stand for the all the lemons theyve been selling me over the years..if this next replacement from autozone fails..im just gonna have to bite the bullet and probably get an oem.

Reply to
Edwin T.

Well lucky for autozone, the second swap out of cv axle finnally worked and now the thing is running fine. No more clicking and poping sounds and seems much much stiffer and secure than before. However, the replacement also didnt seem to have the harmonic balancer. It runs fine without it and I cant really seem to tell the difference. Im assuming maybe its for very high speeds on the highway. Checked alldata d.i.y.shop manuals and it shows it in the parts explosion, but didnt mention nothing there about it. (unless alldata didnt post the whole shop manual)But then again, the car is near 300k mileage and I never drive it fast or too hard. The thing is getting old.

Reply to
Edwin T.