Impreza CV axle

I have a 5 speed '98 Impreza with the small 4 cyl engine. It has

2 split CV boots. Both inner next to the transaxle. I have the passenger side out to the point of popping it out of the axle and there is where I am having problems. It doesn't pop out like a conventional axle where they can be pried free between the axle and the transmission. How do I get this thing out? I've pulled and tugged on it until I pinched my fingers but it won't come free. My book says there may be a pin in there but I can't see one. So I am asking for a little help. What's the best way to get it out of there because I have to do the drivers side also.

Thanks

Reply to
mbjj

Ken

And it never will that way.

There is.

Subaru drive axles are retained with a rolled pin that you push out with a punch. Turn the axle and you will see it easily. You do not need to drain the gear oil. The axle is attached outside of the seals.

Don

Don

I have worked out the retaining pin and have the axle out. When I tried to put the new axle on I noticed that the pin alignment holes don't align cleanly. When placed on the splines properly the hole shifts to one side or the other depending on which spline I choose. When I tried to drive in the new pin I met stiff resistance with the axle shaft. Not wanting to damage anything I stopped and decided to ask another question. What's the best way to get the axle pin into my '98 Impreza 5 speed? Is this supposed to drive in this hard and is it normal for the alignment holes to be off center like this? I need a little more direction from those who know. Thanks.

Reply to
mbjj

mbjj wrote in news:Hf7Fg.9122$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Tried turning the axle 180 degrees?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Exactly!

Don

Don

Actually I turned the output shaft 180 degrees. I turned the axle several times but each time it remained cockeyed. When I got the other wheel off the ground and turned the output shaft 180 it lined up nicely. Thanks for your help. Now I can do the other side. \ mbjj

Reply to
mbjj