2002 Taurus 24 Valve

Does the 24 Valve Duratec 2002 Taurus have an interference engine? Does it utilize a timing belt or a timing chain?

Do you recomend 5,000 mile oil change intervals like the manual says?

Reply to
Eastward Bound

it has a belt, and is an interference engine, i would reccomend frequent oil changes since this engine can suffer from hydraulic tappet wear, good oil should help combat this problem.

Reply to
steve

Chain.

Yes, with Mobil 1.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Wrong. The Duratec has a chain. I am not sure about the other engines used by Ford in the Taurus.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

All Duratec V6's (2.5L and 3.0L and presumably the Gen 3 SHO's 3.4L V8) use a chain. A Google search found one post saying the 2.5L is not an interference. Another implies the 3.0L is. Generally, since it has a chain (actually 2 chains), it shouldn't be a real worry unless you change them and screw up the timing.

Of course, or sooner if you wish, depending on your driving habits.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

we dont have the taurus in the UK, i assumed it was the same lump as used in the probe which is a V6 24v, and utilises a belt, appologies for incorrect info.

Reply to
steve