2003 Expedition frozen

I few time the summer on long drives, my A/C on my 2003 Expedtion has frozen. I had turn off the A/C for a few minutes and run the fan, and the ice broke up, and the A/C would blow again. I have checked the freon level, and it is fine. I have heard to clean my filter. Where is it , and how do I clean it.

Thanks,

Reply to
Darren

If it has a filter, make sure it is clean. Check behind the hood in the cowl under the wiper for an access cover - I don't know for sure on that one. If it still freezes, you will need to have the low cutout pressure checked. Most of the clutch cycling switches are adjustable so that the system is not super cooled causing freeze up. If the system has ever been recharged or topped off, the technician may have reduced the cutout pressure to get the cycling right. Another thing you may want to try is using the "MAX" a/c setting which recirculates already cooled and dehumidified air. The "Normal" position is continuously bring in fresh moisture. That is a problem with which many of us in the SE are now afflicted. The "Max" setting gets around it.

Good luck Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

"" wrote: > I few time the summer on long drives, my A/C on my 2003 > Expedtion has > frozen. I had turn off the A/C for a few minutes and run the > fan, and > the ice broke up, and the A/C would blow again. I have > checked the > freon level, and it is fine. I have heard to clean my filter. > Where is > it , and how do I clean it. > > Thanks,

Sounds like a blockage in the A/C system but if you go through all the trouble of taking this "filter" off to clean it you might as well buy a new one.You have a Drier and a Liquid Line (Metal/Rubber line with Orfice built in) They both act as a filter.Drier has a charcol bag in it and the Orfice has a fine screen on one end of it.

Any of this would require removal of the freon,it would prolly be best to have someone certifide in A/C look at it.

Reply to
Shakes73

There is a TSB for this. If your truck is still under warranty they will apply the TSB for free. Here is part of the TSB:

CLIMATE CONTROL INTERMITTENT LOSS OF COOLING OR AIRFLOW FROM A/C SYSTEM AT HIGHWAY DRIVES VEHICLES BUILT PRIOR TO 3/16/2004

Article No. 04-5-9

FORD: 2003-2004 EXPEDITION LINCOLN: 2003-2004 NAVIGATOR

ISSUE

Some 2003-2004 Expedition/Navigator vehicles built before 03/16/2004 may exhibit an intermittent loss of cooling (temperature swings) or diminished register airflow from the A/C system during highway drives. Diminished airflow on drives of 30 minutes or more may be due to ice formation on the evaporator core. This condition is exhibited in hot and humid climates only. Temperature swings with strong register airflow may be due to unwanted cycling of the thermostatic switch. This condition occurs only when the rear climate control system is not present or turned off.

ACTION

To service, install an evaporator assembly-mounted thermostatic cycling switch and disable the TXV-mounted thermostatic switch, using service Kit Cycling Switch Kit 4L1Z-19E992-AA. For vehicles built on or August 2003, it is also necessary to order and install fastener W701696-S301. For installation procedures refer to the Service Kit instruction sheet.

My 2003 Expedition occasionally exhibited the described problem. I had this TSB applied to my 2003 Expedition and it completely eliminated the problem.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White