2004 Mustang is Underpowered

I just tried out the new Mustang and was really disappointed in it. I also tried out a new Corvette and it really seemed to surpass the Mustang in every category except price. And I hear the Z06 Corvette is even better. I prefer the Mustang styling and was wondering if there is any Mustang coming out with over 400 horsepower?

Is it just me or does the Jaguar look like a stupid Taurus? Boy has that car ever gone downhill! Just my 2 cents. Agree?

Reply to
Ken Heslin
2004 Mustang is Underpowered Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Wed, Oct 29, 2003, 3:07am (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com (Ken=A0Heslin) I just tried out the new Mustang and was really disappointed in it. I also tried out a new Corvette and it really seemed to surpass the Mustang in every category except price. And I hear the Z06 Corvette is even better. I prefer the Mustang styling and was wondering if there is any Mustang coming out with over 400 horsepower?

Reply to
Eric Toline

SVT Cobra!

Reply to
PATRICK T. DAVIDSON

Ken Heslin wrote in news:aaGnb.89468$ snipped-for-privacy@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

You are not comparing cars in the same class. Compare the Mustang to the Camaro, please, not the Corvette.

Reply to
donutbandit

What Camaro? The only reasonable Ford to comapre with a Corvette would be the Mustang Cobra. It is less expensive and not as refined. I doubt they appeal to the same people (although I like both). I suppose you could compare a Ford GT to a Corvette, but then you have the opposite problem. The Ford GT should be faster and handle better, but it costs much more.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Apples to oranges. When one compares vehicles, the drive home price must always be considered. A 2004 Mustang GT can be had for 20K, there is not a car anywhere near it in price that can compare to the GT, let alone out perform the Mustang, period. Most import so called FWD 'sports cars' with V6 and 4cy engines cost thousands more to drive home. If you want to win nearly every race, spend the bucks for the Vette. If you want to win most of the races, buy the GT and use the thousands of dollars you saved to buy your fuel and pay your fines. If you must win ALL of the races you need to look at the likes of Ferrari. ;)

mike hunt

Ken Helli>

Reply to
DustyRhoads

Ken Heslin opined in news:aaGnb.89468$ snipped-for-privacy@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

Hmmmm... Either you are really stupid or you're a troll. One is a "Pony Car" the other a great American Sports Car.... just like in the 60's.

And if there's a similarity between the Taurus and the Jag, it's the other way 'round.

So what?!

They are both Ford products and there's been a similarity of looks and style for several years.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Go to the alt.autos.gm group and ask the people there. I can guarantee you that most everyone there will say he's a troll.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

The base model corvette can outperform an SVT Cobra,,have a look at this link....

Dan

Yeah but the Corvette cost 50% more than the Cobra. It is not 50% better. It does not even have 10% better performance. Which is the better value for your money?

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

The mustang SVT runs at $39 000 & the Corvette base runs at $50 000. It's a difference of about 25% not 50%. Theres a lot more people out there buying the Corvette. I rather have the Corvette especially for future re-sale.

Reply to
Dan

The only Corvette you are buying is the one at Wally World at the Hot Wheels display booth. Why not start this crap on a chevy newsgroup!!! Plonk!!

Cheers,

Dale

Reply to
Reality24

I have no idea where you are getting your cost numbers. According to the article you quoted, the Corvette as tested cost $56,265 and the Cobra as tested cost $38,170. That is a difference of $18,095. So the Corvette is 47% more expensive than the Cobra. This rounds to 50%. If you want to compare base Corvette to base Cobra - the base Cobra is $35,895; the base Corvette is $52,845. This means the Corvette is still 47% more expensive (again this rounds to 50%). I suspect the difference in real world prices is even higher.

You should buy what you like, but I still say the Cobra is a better value for the money (if "value for the money has any basis for these sorts of cars). The Corvette is a nice car. I wouldn't mind having either one. I could just barely afford the Cobra. The Corvette is out of my price range plus it only has two seats. The Cobra can at least handle an additional person or two for a short distance. If you are buying the car based on what "a lot more people are buying," then you should buy an Accord, Camry, or Taurus. If you are buying the car based on assumed resale value, I suggest you buy a Lexus. If you are buying the car because you want it, then get what you want and don't try to make it seem if buying a Corvette is a rational decision.

Regards,

Ed White

Dan wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

The Mustang line was never intended to run with the 'Vette. Now that the 'Stang doesn't have a real competitor, maybe Ford will remedy that and build a 'Stang that you'd be proud to own?!

Reply to
Jinxter

I will stick around in the chevy newsgroup where the real cars are. Can't wait to dump my Lincoln for a Cadillac.

Reply to
Dan

I guess I can assume that Cadillacs are preferred by rude people who can't do math....

Ed

Dan wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

And preferred by people who want trouble free cars. I didn't know that non FORD lovers are rude people. I should start spreading out the word.

Reply to
Dan

If you like the Corvette go buy one... You don't have get a Mustang owners approval! I like the "Vette" too, yet my GT vert is plenty of car for me. Not to mention less than half the price of a Z06 Cabriolet!!

jim

Reply to
Buck

I agree with you, but the issue here from the start was that someone mentioned that the 2004 Mustang is Underpowered. I just corrected & said that a base model Corvette can out perform an SVT. I never said an SVT is a bad or slow car. I hate my Lincoln though.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Reply to