98 Cirrus V6 Fuel Problem

Okay, I've been reading this board all morning, you guys have a lot of info here. Here is my problem, when I fill my gas tank the pump prematurely shuts off. In order to fill the tank, I have to hold the lever about halfway, which takes much longer. I've tried inserting it sideways, halfway, upside-down, etc. This happens at every gas station, whether I am in DC, MD, NY, CT, NJ, etc. In fact in NJ, where self-serve does not exist, I have to pump my own gas b/c the attendants get frustrated. Now, I've been living with this for 5 years, is it supposed to be that way? My dealer just shrugs his shoulders.

Reply to
Steve20016

here. Here is my problem, when I fill my gas tank the pump prematurely shuts off. In order to fill the tank, I have to hold the lever about halfway, which takes much longer. I've tried inserting it sideways, halfway, upside-down, etc. This happens at every gas station, whether I am in DC, MD, NY, CT, NJ, etc. In fact in NJ, where self-serve does not exist, I have to pump my own gas b/c the attendants get frustrated. Now, I've been living with this for 5 years, is it supposed to be that way? My dealer just shrugs his shoulders.

I've never owned a Cirrus, but I can't imagine this being correct. Sounds like there is a vent that is blocked. Might be worth trying a different dealer.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Steve,

If you are trying to fill it with the engine running, try shutting it off. Some fuel systems are pressurized. Filling with the engine running causes the pressure to escape out the filler tube, effectively shutting off the the gas pump.

Jon

Reply to
Jon

I have a 99 Cirrus and it fills perfectly normal, only clicking off at full. I would try a different dealer since this could be an emissions related problem in which it's warranted for 80k miles.

Lou G

Reply to
LG1247

Reply to