4.6 thermostat change problem

I have a 2000 merc Grand Marquis with the 4.6 engine. The garage I go to has tried to twice to change the thermostat but have been stopped dead, fearful, that the bolts going into the plastic intake manifold are going to snap off. If that happens they say that it would require a new manifold and lts of expensive labor.

I have been in the garage on two other occasions when they have not been able to remove the bolts on two 4.6 engines to change the thermostat.

What a lousey design problem in my estimation. Has anyone else had this problem with those damned plastic intake bolts for the thermostat?

Thanks

Reply to
Wegge

============================ I have changed alot of t-stats and plastic intakes on 96 and 97 CVs with

4.6Ls and never had a bolt break. Of coarse this is no garantee that yours wont. Is the thing overheating or what? Its not the bolt that is plastic, its the intake itself.
Reply to
Scott M

Reply to
Wegge

Reply to
Thomas Moats

I haven't had to deal with this yet (dealer *did* replaced manifold at

65K) but I've noticed this subject here before. I just looked at mine (97 Bird 4.6) and the bolts look easy enough to get at. My question is this: If the metal inserts should spin in the plastic, can you remove them and put new or larger inserts in? How are they anchored? Epoxy? Pressed?

Frank

Reply to
F.H.

This problem is not isolated to Ford, GM and "exotic luxury models" also have this problem with the plastic intakes. Consider cutting up and replacing the thermostat housing (removing the "ears" from under bolts) and using a good penetrating oil and CRC battery terminal cleaner to remove any corrosion Regards, Jay

Reply to
J. James

I suppose you could. Being that I work on other peoples vehicles I would never take the chance.

They appear to be pressed in.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Does anyone make a metal replacement?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Professional Shop Rat: 14,267 days in a GM plant.

David Starr

======================= Did they change since 97? If not the bolts go all the way through the plastic intake into the block.

Reply to
Scott M

They have changed many times through the years. They do not go into the block, but the drivers side head. My bad, I forgot about that.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

========================== If the t-stat is stuck open and you want it to heat up....Your just gonna have to pull the bolts out.......

Reply to