4.6 thermostat change problems

I have a 2000 merc Grand Marquis with the 4.6 engine. The garage I go to has tried to twice to change the thermostat but have been stopped dead, fearful, that the bolts going into the plastic intake manifold are going to snap off. If that happens they say that it would require a new manifold and lts of expensive labor.

I have been in the garage on two other occasions when they have not been able to remove the bolts on two 4.6 engines to change the thermostat.

What a horseshit design problem in my estimation. Has anyone else had this problem with those damned plastic intake bolts for the thermostat?

Thanks

Reply to
Wegge

I can say it is one female dog to get them off. I did it myself this past summer. I was sweating bullets the whole time. I sprayed lotsa silicone lube on them and I was very slow in getting them out. I also used a slow and steady force when getting them out. It can be done but I think alot of shops are afraid of doing it.

I just took my time and prayed and cussed alot. I am just at a loss as to why ford makes engines the way they do today.

Tim

Reply to
Tim G

It seems to me that a little dab of anti-seize at the factory would do wonders here!!

Wayne

Tim G wrote:

Reply to
Wegge