5.0 vs. 5.0 H.O.

Anyone know what the difference is between these two motors? I'm asking since I have a Merc Grand Marquis 5.0 to put in my 1966 Mustang. I bought the Merc thinking the 5.0 was a high performance engine, but it isn't "High Output." Runs well though. I do know the firing order is different.

Gary in NC

Reply to
gcroix

Gary, Pretty much the block is the same. Everything else is different. You didn't mention the year, starting in 1986, they both have roller cams, different roller cams, but almost every other part except the cap, rotor and wires is different.

Reply to
Michael O

Hmmph. I didn't know all that was different. When I looked and saw that the firing order was the same as my 66 motor, I didn't know where to start as far as differences. My motor/trans is a 1990, AOD trans. I'm glad to hear it is a roller cam engine though. Is there a website to look it up? Thanks for your help.

Gary

Reply to
gcroix

I could be wrong but IIRC the 302 didn't get a roller cam until about 1990 or 91. Bob

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Your on the correct path, the HO used in Mustang / Capri; Continental and Mark VII got the roller cam in 85. The base 5.0 did not.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Yes, the HO got it in 85, the non-HO got it in 86.

Reply to
Michael O

There is some info here about converting

Michael O

Thanks a LOT for that link. I'd have never found it on my own, I'm sure. One day I'm sure I'll want more horsepower and I'm sure I'll use this info.

Gary in NC.

Reply to
gcroix