Unlimited Rubicon - JK vs TJ

I am trying to understand what are the functional differences between the TJ and JK versions of the Rubi Unlimited.

Apart from the different body styles, from what I have gathered, the only real performance differences are:

  • JK has electronic stability program
  • JK has automatic sway bar disconnect switch
  • JK has hill-start assist (auto transmission versions only)
  • JK has 3.8L V6 vs. 4.0L I6 (debatable how much performance difference this really makes)

Is there anything that would make a difference to offroad performance that I'm missing in the above list?

(I am asking because I am in the market for one, and I have an opportunity to buy a 2006 TJ and a 2007 JK... the TJ is about $6000 lower... and I'm thinking for $6000 bucks difference, I can do without the extra stuff listed above)

Reply to
J. Nelson

I had my 99TJ for about 6 years when I decided to trade it for my 07 JK Rubicon this summer. Can't compare Rubi-to-Rubi, but the ride difference from TJ to JK is amazing. More so than the difference from my 91 YJ to the TJ. Granted 90% of my driving is not off-road, but I really wanted the capability of the Rubi. The unlimited fits my lifestyle (aka family) well. We can all go out in it, still have room to carry whatever. I look forward to getting some time off and a chance to take it off road to really test it. The one thing I don't like is the 3.8 V6 feels week at lower rpm. This is a heavier Jeep and I would really like a little more power in it. If I could afford it I would do a V-8 swap in a heart-beat. Looks-wise, I really never cared for the unlimited version of the TJ.

My $0.02 worth...

Jerry S.

Reply to
Jerry Slaughter

For the extra $6000.00 dollars you can build what ever your needs require ( depending totally on how much more you may be planning on spending to further the desired modifications to your wishes!)

Reply to
Socks

I have a fairly well built 06 Rubi and several friends with the JK.

My observations on the trail are that the JK is a surprisingly agile and extremely capable off road vehicle!

IF you go for the new one, you will not only have bumper to bumper warranty on your side you will have gained mpg and modifications that you would have to finance out of pocket that you may or may not have the skill and/or finances to accomplish.

The JK Rubi only sits about 2" lower than many riased rigs, it's a hill and rock climbing sumbitch and has many upgraded features that the TJ will not have. The JK also has some SWEET top options and doolollys that make it much more comfortable.

This rig was bone stock, he made it up this wet rock, first rig I ever saw make it up.

another buddy in his stocker, he's just getting the feel of offroading.

OTOH

The TJ Rubi is a strong, well built, tried and true vehicle. It's not as fancy as the newer ones I'll give you that, but given the option I would not trade my TJ for a new one. Don't ask me why, maybe it's just because we've bonded. My rig is fairly modded, I don't know if I would say "heavily" but darn close to it. I have invested near $8,000 in mods on mine and have a long list yet to go.. The mods for the TJ are a little less expensive than they are for the JK and more readily available but the JK is picking up speed in the aftermarket industry. I expect that within a year you'll be able to find anything and everything you want for it.

So, depending on how much trail riding you're going to be doing or how much mall crawling, you should look at the long term and decide if you want to start with a used rig or not.

I bought mine new three years ago - building them takes a little time and a lot of hard work I have learned a ton since then and have several tons more to learn.

Reply to
Kate

I agree with Kate on this. Based on watching some local JKs, they really do work very well off road bone stock. The traction control gives them a huge advantage. The only reason I can see not to go with one is the extra cost and maybe the desire to avoid extra electronic complexity.

Reply to
nrs

up.http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm30/7SlotFever/Pickwick%208-16-08...

I swear those wheels look like 18 or 20". I hope he didn't hit any rocks. :)

Reply to
ULB

Only thing I can add to the list is with a TJ Unlimited, it's still a bitch to get anyone seated in the back seats, let alone pull or stow any equipment back there. I don't know if the massive inconvenience is worth 6k, but after 3 years of trying to get kids in and out of my

05 Rubicon, I think it may be worth a few thousand, seriously.

Take care,

Reply to
ULB

"ULB" wrote Only thing I can add to the list is with a TJ Unlimited, it's still a bitch to get anyone seated in the back seats, let alone pull or stow any equipment back there. I don't know if the massive inconvenience is worth 6k, but after 3 years of trying to get kids in and out of my

05 Rubicon, I think it may be worth a few thousand, seriously.
Reply to
Kate

I now have a 5.5 year old and 3 year old and when I go camping/fishing/ wheeling/shooting, they are always with me. I can't shake them anymore, which is cool. I don't know if they like the scenery more or just getting away from the house, or hanging with the old man and fishing. Every once in a while my wife will come with us, but she rarely rides with us.

You are so correct, trying to strap the kids in after a pee break or whatever, one almost needs to be a contortionist to get them in place from the driver seat. If I tried from the rear gate I would be screwed. I have a swing away bumper and a soft top. So access to the rear is difficult unless you swing away and throw the zippers.

Take care,

Reply to
ULB