5.0 vs 5.0 H.O.

Anyone know what the difference is between these two motors? I'm asking since I have a Merc Grand Marquis 5.0 to put in my 1966 Mustang. I bought the Merc thinking the 5.0 was a high performance engine, but it isn't "High Output." Runs well though. I do know the firing order is different.

Gary in NC

Reply to
gcroix

Gary, there are several items that are different.

To find out EXACTLY what the differences are, I'll refer you to a GREAT bunch of knowledgable folks for CV/GMs. Many of them have upgraded there Stock 5.0s to 5.0HOs.

Tell them P71_Interceptor (ERIC) sent you there. ;>)

-ERIC

Reply to
Katmandu

typical hot rodding stuff, heads,roller cam,intake,headers,forged pistons & thinner piston rings.

notes:

1.auto trans equipped 85 mustang engines are not really HO engines. 2.86 HO mustang engines have oddball heads,true flat top pistons & smaller efi intakes.
  1. 83-84 HO mustang engines are not roller cam,they have cast pistons,manifolds
  2. 4 barrel appeared in 83, headers in 85(5 speed)
  3. 87-93 HO's are basically the same except for use of mass air in 89.
  4. 93-94-95 use cast hypereutectic pistons.
Reply to
winze

You could also look for the Lincoln Mark VII motors. They were identical with the exception of a couple of brackets.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper