Mustangs and law enforcement

Back in the late 80s early 90s, Mustang 5.0s were popular with some law enforcement agencies. The Minnesota highway patrol had a number of unmarked, black Mustang 5.0s. People
soon became aware of these vehicles, and would always watch of them. It was amazing how courteous other drivers would be when I was driving my black Capri 5.0!
Dick
Capri's were 4 eyed hatchbacks. I am surprised, I never saw a SSP hatch only notchbacks and most were aero lights '87-93. Kudo's to you. I love the fox body Stang's and Capri's.
I bet we see another Police vehicle on the newer model Mustang.
Nick :)

ND wrote:

Hi Nick, My Capri is what some folks would call a "bubble back" - a hatchback with a large rear window. It still fooled a lot of motorists. I remember driving on a 2 lane road in Wisconsin, when some kid made an very unsafe pass. I hit the brakes because I saw the oncoming car. The oncoming car was a police 5.0 Mustang, and he made an immediate u-turn and caught up with, and stopped the kid. As I drove by, I gave the officer a thumbs-up!
Dick

Ford got a LOT of PR mileage out of those cop cars. Calif paid $7K per unit. Ford wrote off the rest as advertising. And it worked. People were buying 5.0s left and right. Of course, most of those buyers didn't realize the difference between a simple 5.0 and an SSP.
--

Vintage Burgundy 65 Fastback 2+2, 289 OEM 4bbl, Custom C4,
OEM front disc/rear drum P/R&P, 16x8" V40s, BFG gForce
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 09:11:22 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@snowcrest.net wrote:

I doubt they were selling them for $7K. Lots of state patrols were buying those vehicles. And the SSP, which I assume you mean the police package, on those cars didn't amount to much at all. In terms of performance it was no different then any other Mustang 5.0. There were a few extras you could order for the SSP like Silicone hoses and perhaps a higher output alternator. The seats were not even extra reinforced and most of them broke from the weight of the officers. The basic car in any form was very dependable and could easily stay in service to 150K.

I believe you are correct. California paid $4K per unit.
--

Vintage Burgundy 65 Fastback 2+2, 289 OEM 4bbl, Custom C4,
OEM front disc/rear drum P/R&P, 16x8" V40s, BFG gForce
On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 14:10:49 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@snowcrest.net wrote:

$4K each is even more difficult to believe. I suppose they made it up in volume.

SNIP
They made it up in advertising. California was the first state to jump on the offer. Ford used CHP in their print ads (can't recall if they were used in film ads or not- think I was overseas at the time). The balance of the cost was written off as advertising costs - legitimate deduction for the books. They got a LOT of mileage out of the advertising. Other governmental agencies picked up on the deal, and the public ate it up.
--

Vintage Burgundy 65 Fastback 2+2, 289 OEM 4bbl, Custom C4,
OEM front disc/rear drum P/R&P, 16x8" V40s, BFG gForce
Hi all--
I looking to buy 2010 mustang. Based on my budget I am limiting my choices to a V6 premium or a base GT. What options would you advise to include and exclude on both models?
Thanks very much.
Buy it the way you want, not what someone else wants. A better way is to ask a question about a specific option or option package.

I have to agree with that; however, I would add that my experience with 2005+ Mustangs (that's years 2005 and newer, not more than two thousand and five different cars!) might be useful to someone who hasn't had a recent product of the Flat Rock Folks.
I had a 2006 V6 Premium automatic. It was really nice, and if I hadn't had a lot of interest in handling characteristics, stock would have been a good enough car for daily driving and pleasant cruises. As it was, I added springs, shocks, sways, wheels and tires, and it was SUPER nimble and a canyon carver deluxe; not so good in the ride-quality area, but passable. Power was more than adequate for ordinary uses, and my son-in-law the master autocrosser could really make it fly.
I also liked the sound of the dual exhaust better than the V8 sound, on a sensual scale. The V6s don't get the credit they deserve. GT sways and dual exhaust make them 80% more enjoyable with no other changes.
The Premiums usually come with enough options that there isn't much in the way of factory options really worth adding, for my uses.
Underlying it all is the question: do you want to have a base to build on or do you want to buy and enjoy. I would not hesitate to go for the V8 base if there is any possibility that you'll be thinking "I could have had a V8". Your base GT will be a little quicker than the others that are option-laden. After a couple years of the V6, which I really liked and was satisfied with, when I had a chance to get another Mustang, I took the V8. Just because I wanted to have the V8. Mine is a little heavier than base in the option list (GT/CS), but basically the fact of V8 power is the only thing you can't get in a Premium V6, with a little industry and ingenuity. Finally, when I felt the need for an automatic convertible, I again chose the GT/CS, for its features and power (and it gets better MPG than the V6 I had!).
Speaking to the order-options I would not want to do without: the Comfort group, which includes the power-adjustable passenger seat, because my wife is altitudinally challenged, and can hardly see out without it, or a cushion.
I'm not much of a music-in-the-car listener. I like the sound of driving too much to have it on when I'm rolling, and when the car is parked, I'm not driving, so I'm not in it to listen. I understand the Shaker 1000 is forty-five pounds of useless drag for people like me. Satellite radio was nice out in the wide-open spaces of West Texas, but otherwise, useless expense, for us.
Come to think of it, unless you have other special interests or needs, that's about it. They all are good at what they do; plenty to like in every one of them. Only you know your requirements and needs. Most of what isn't on the basic car is icing on the cake. Pick what you like and need, and enjoy it.
PS: Black and White are the fastest colors.
--
Frank ess

Mach1 wrote:
tyndareus wrote:

I would get a 2009 GT base, if you can find one, for $23,500 then customize it the way you want. That is what I did.
Or you can get a 2009 GT premium for $26,500 and have the dealer install Ford Racing suspension and cold air intake along with a short throw shifter. This will give you the equivalent of a Shelby GT for about $28,500 and it still keeps the full factory warrantee. That is what I wish I did.
If you really must have a 2010 be ready to pay near sticker price of $30,000 for a base. The only option I would suggest is the GT all others are up to you. The GT gives you so much more standard, ABS, traction control, limited slip, Z tires, heavy duty transmission, heavy duty axle and one sweet 300 hp engine. I get 26 MPG highway with mine.