66 Ford master cylinder upgrade

Thanks to all who responded to my last post about the car I'm getting. I have another question, this car is a 66 LTD 2 door, 289 v-8 automatic. The brake master cylinder is the single reservoir type, manual / no power booster, and 4 wheel drum brakes. I'm not too worried about switching the front drums to disc.... a nice upgrade, but not totally necessary.... but I do want to change over to a dual reservoir master cylinder set-up. Manual brakes are ok, power would be better, but I don't like the idea of blowing a brake line and losing ALL brakes! Did that once with a 66 Impala, and don't want that experience again! Anybody have any suggestions, or links to sites that may help? Thank you, Earl

Reply to
big e lewis

Your current brake lines leads from the master cylinder to a fitting that splits the master cylinder line from one to three, one for the rear, and one each to the front brakes. Swapping out the old master cylinder for a new dual chamber is an easy swap

Find yourself a dual chamber master cylinder from a car with front and rear drum brakes. Buy two brake lines, the proper fittings and swap out the parts and you will be in business. My local NAPA store has all of the fittings and brakes lines. You will also need a brake line tube bender to bend the lines.

For my disc swap, I purchased some of the parts from MP Brakes

Check out their website and look for their catalog. The catalog has technical info that will help you. Frank

Reply to
Frank from Deeetroit

Any ideas on what master cylinder in particular would bolt onto the firewall and pedal assembly? Lines are no problem, but I want something that doesn't require a bunch of mods to the firewall or pedal. I'm thinking maybe a later year, same body style car, like a 69, but does anyone know if the mounting is the same? Thanks, Earl

Reply to
big e lewis

Swap is pretty straight forward. Mine bolted in with no bolt pattern changes required. Adding the power booster was just as simple.

Since this car is an OEM from disc rear drum, I needed a proportioning valve. Got an adjustable and added it in next to the dual master so it's easy to find and adjust without having to go under the car where the original was located half way between the master and the differential.

Check the brake conversion sites for tech sections

etc, or check pubs like
or
for articles on brake system upgrades.

Reply to
veegerNO SPAM

You've had some good suggestions, but I'd like to add another. 1968 was the first year for dual system brakes IIRC. The 1968 Galaxie was mechanically (nearly) identical to the 1966, the drum-drum brakes were the same except for the dual hydraulic system. Parts for a 1968 Custom or Galaxie with drums on all 4 wheels is a bolt on upgrade. You will need the master cylinder, booster for power, proportioning valve, and pedal rod for the power brakes (the rod on manual brakes is part of the MC, separate for power). The only fabrication is the metal lines. An OEM proportioning valve is going to be hard to come by, but there are aftermarket adjustable valves available. It can be done without the prop valve, just leaving the front and rear separate. It gets a little tricky to set up and the rear brakes have to be adjusted loose. I don't recommend it. Through the years I've had 4 1966 Galaxies and 2 1967 Galaxies in various trim at various times, usually XL or 7 Litre. I lost the first 66 XL due to the single circuit brake system. After that the others were converted to the 68 (dual) system after I found out how easy it was. A weekend in the garage and I had a "modern" safe brake system.

On a personal note, the 1966 2 door fullsize Ford was one of the prettiest Ford cars ever made IMHO. Rivalled only by the 63 Fastback ;).

Reply to
Tom Adkins