Interseting sighting

Today, while going to work, I saw what I believe was a euro Ford Galaxy Minivan. What gives, is Ford going to sell them here after they discontinue the freestar? It looked just like this:

toycars26

Kinda Honda-esque. I don't know if Ford has any plans to sell them in N America. Where do you live that you saw this?

Reply to
GMach3

It comes with these engines

2,0 l Duratec, 107kW (145 PS), 1,8 l Duratorq-TDCi Turbodiesel, 74kW (100 PS), 2,0 l Duratorq-TDCi Turbodiesel, 96kW (130 PS), 6-Gang Schaltgetriebe, Dieselpartikelfilter 2,0 l Duratorq-TDCi Turbodiesel, 103kW (140 PS), 6-Gang Schaltgetriebe, Dieselpartikelfilter

So no, not likely they will sell them here

Everybody is complaining about fuel prices but nobody will buy a 2.0L in a mini van

Reply to
JohanB

A minivan needs *at least* a V6 engine if it's gonna be somewhat durable.

One of my friends said Ford were crazy putting a V8 in my Grand Marquis, said they sould've put in a V6.

Yeah right, a V6 in a 4,000 pound car. That's gonna last long :)

It might've cut it, but in ten years, I'd like to compare that V6 to my

4.6 :)
Reply to
Starscream

Most likely a private import. I live in New York City, in an area where there are many diplomats. One of them owns a Fiat Multipla, which is the weirdest minivan you ever saw. It still has the car dealership sticker from Rome on the rear window.

(Diplomatic license plates are technically only valid within a certain radius of the U.N. building, I think it is 100 miles. So you see most of those plates around NYC).

Reply to
zwsdotcom

I live in MASS.

Reply to
toycars26

They put a Duratec V6 in the Lincoln LS. Apparently, it ran ok.

And they put a 4-cyl in a 3000+ lb Ford Contour. I bet you will find some V6s in durable cars that weigh over 4000 lbs.

Of course, it also depends on how you drive the car.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I'd buy a minivan with a turbo diesel

Reply to
petebert

One I first started working in NYC, I noticed that a lot of people in midtown owned Lincoln Town Cars. Too many people, really. Then I noticed that their license plates had T&LC plates (Taxi & Limosine Commisssion).

Althoug I have been in midtown a lot, I never notice a lot of foriegn cars. But I rarely go East of 6th St. in Midtown, except when walking from the PATH station at 33rd St. to the 6 train around Park Ave.

Reply to
Jeff

Who makes one for sale in the US?

I think Chrysler might come out with one. And I think VW may have made some in the past. THey don't have any minivans for sale now.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Build an engine right, and it can be a lot smaller and offer the same performance. And if you used a manual transmission instead of the fuel-guzzling automatics, you can go even smaller still. Don't forget, you need about 25% more torque to run an automatic than you do a manual. And since gasoline in Europe has higher octane (and typically the engines have higher compression than their American built siblings), you can get more power out of a smaller engine.

In Europe, no sane person would ever buy a 4,000 lbs car unless it was a diesel.

Reply to
Mr. Bunny

Don't the Econoline still come as diesel ? Although I suppose it doesn't really qualify as a minivan.

Reply to
Mr. Bunny

freestyle? was that a typo?

Reply to
petebert

The Econoline is a full-sized van, not a minivan.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff