cj master brake cylinder

tried to look it up, but can't find it.

On a master brake cylinder (no booster) on a 79 CJ5 the front line is for the front brakes? right?

(converting to power brakes , don't want to mix up the lines)

Ron

Reply to
csdude

No, I don't think so. I will have to go look when I leave this morning to be 100% sure, but I think the smaller front reservoir is for the smaller rear wheel cylinders and the larger rear one is for the larger front calipers.

If you buy the right CJ brake lines, they are different sizes so they only fit on the right way from the master to the combination valve. They also are different sizes where the lines split at the rear and off the combination valve to the fronts. The feeder line is larger, then the two offshoots are smaller lines.

I have driven in both standard and power brake CJ7's and to be honest, I can't tell the difference, you still have to literally stand on the brake pedal to screech the tires.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail > tried to look it up, but can't find it.
Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike, You're right, with 33" tires there's not much of a difference between manual brakes and stock booster brakes. You still have to stand on them. To make a difference on 33" tires you need to install a dual diaphragm booster. I did just that and my brakes screech quite nicely now.

Reply to
Jo Baggs

ok, so the fittings that are on my brake lines that attach to my master cylinder are a different size and can only go on 'one way' so I can't mix them up

Reply to
csdude

hmm ok, So I better go for the dual diafragm booster than

thanks!

Reply to
csdude

I just checked the original lines, the one to the front of the master cylinder is a thicker line than the other one. So it looks like the line to the front of the master cylinder feeds the front brakes?

Reply to
csdude

The combination valve right down on the frame below the master is pretty easy to figure out. One line (the front larger) from the master goes to the top rear of it for the rear brakes with one output off the back and the other rear smaller line from the master goes to the front of the combo valve which feeds two front lines, one to each side.

So the small reservoir has the big line and the big reservoir has the little line, go figure eh. It has to do with the volumes and pressures needed for the different systems.

If you buy proper lines, they have different sized fittings on the ends so they can only screw in one way. Unless you are an artist with a flare tool, it is kinda hard to make your own lines.

I just ID'ed my pedal trouble on my 'all' freaking new except a remanned master and the NAPA master has failed! It has blown out the rear seal. Damn! They couldn't get me a new master either.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame and everything else in '09. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

Well, I'm just replacing the master cylinder.

that's why I don't really like to buy rebuilt ones. Especially not with brakes.

I ordered the booster etc today from MBM they were VERY helpful (good customer service too)

Reply to
csdude

That sounds familiar - I had to replace the master on my 88 MJ and nearly fell over when they wanted nearly twice as much for the core deposit as the price of the replacement. Manager said he had questioned that himself and the rebuilder told him that it was getting almost impossible to get new cores for the older models so they wanted to be sure they got the core back. Sounds like a business opportunity to me .

Reply to
Will Honea