'87 Mercury Sable - is it worth keeping?

Hello, I have a Sable '87 in less than 38k and looks like the transmission went out. The reason it has so little miles is because the original owner was an old lady that mostly stored it in the garage for 12 years. I am wondering whether to keep it and repair the transmission or sell it. As far as I can tell there are no other major issues with the car.

Reply to
spiralingcrazies

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (spiralingcrazies) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

It's not worth much as a collectible.

I always liked that early Taurus/Sable styling. It was futuristic in that Jetson's kind of way.

The inside door handles (if they are intact) may be worth more than the whole car. They were notorious for breaking, and I've heard of junkyards selling them for $50 a piece.

Reply to
donutbandit

It is almost always cheaper to fix an old car (exceptions: Yugos, Peugeots, AMCs) than to replace them. You won't get anything for it. If it is in good condition, I would fix it.

BTW, my dad is 77 years old. His car mostly sits in the garage. Yet he manages to put like 12,000 mi a year on it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I would fix the trans. When its out you should be able to replace the seal on that end of the engine. Replace the belt and anything that is a seal or gasket you can get to while trans is out. You won't get much selling it for parts, if the trans isn't too much you may be able to drive it for another 8 or 10 years.

Reply to
Scott