89 ford escort no power to the fuel pump shutoff switch

car died wont start pump will pump if direct power is sent to it , but no power getting to the shut off switch , checked with test light . help

Reply to
roxigin

Might be the fuel pump regulator, located under the driver's side dash. Not sure but I think it might be a relay that can fail in the open or closed position. If it fails closed, the pump stays on even after the key is put in the off position. You have to disconnect the battery to shut it off. Sounds like your relay might have failed in the open position, preventing any power getting to the fuel pump.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Yes, I believe it is the relay. In my 93 sable it is the relay control module on top of the radiator. Search this group for the pin connections of that relay, it was mentioned before. You should see 12 v on the relay contacts as soon as you turn the ignition on. If you don't know about relays, just replace the box with a used one from junkyard and see if that make a difference.

Reply to
Laguna