90 Ford Festiva front rotors

(OK I know it's not a Ford) Bought a scrap car for my son (he can't afford much and I would going to help him get it back on the road). Did the break lines, rear shoes, spring kit, belts, wipers, headlamps blah blah blah.

Took it to get it inspected and they wouldn't even begin - siad the front rotors were rusty and they knew these cars and that they would have to be replaced because I couldn't clean them up.

The front pads are great - the rotors are pretty thick but they are rusty (had been sitting for ~ 2 years).

It is true they can't be spiffed up? If they can how do I do it (wire brush it?)????

Reply to
Lurker

As long as the surface is functional and the measurements are within spec most jurisdictions don't care what they once looked like. This is assuming that there hasn't been such rusting as to destroy the integrity of the rotor.

PS you should put your kid in a safe car at least till they are good at driving. Failing that at least make sure the tires are good.

Reply to
email name

Brakes are the singular most important system on the car..... If you can't go... you can't go - If you can't stop, you are in a world of worries. Anything that can call the integrity of the rotors into suspicion should be addressed.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Well I won't disagree that brakes are important, I have seen more fatalities as a result of bad tires (even old one's that "look good")

If your tires are sliding it won't matter how good your brakes or steering is. In this situation it appears as if cost is a serious factor, tires first, everything else second.

Reply to
email name

Reply to
Lurker

ignore hime he is an idiot and lives in a place where there seems to be a lot of domestic violence

depend on how bad rust is

after market rotors are cheep

hurc ast

Reply to
mindy5734

Try driving around the block 4 or 5 time applying the breaks as often as possible, this has worked for me in the passed, let the break pads remove the rust then replace the pads. If I recall the rotors on a Festiva are an integral part of the hub and to replace them you have to actually remove the hub, so it's worth a shot.

For what it's worth

Gene from Georgia

Reply to
EUGENE KIMBALL