brakes - front vs rear

my son took his jeep in to check the brakes... they replaced the rear rotors (60k) and pads, fronts were ok.

I was wondering..... can brakes be treated like tires ? are they the same front/rear ?

Since he now has new rotors and pads on the rear, could he - instead - move the front rotors & pads to the rear, and install the new sets on the front ?

Is the labor involved not worth it - compared to the cost of the new parts ?

Reply to
ps56k

Brakes are not like tires. The rear rotors wouldn't fit the front. As long as the front brakes have plenty of pad left, no need to touch them.

Fairly common to do the front brakes a bit more often than the rears, rarely do all four wear at the same rate.

Reply to
Lon

My apologies as my Jeep has front disc and rear drums. But if you have rotors all around I doubt the rotors are the same size on the front and back. Typically the front rotors are larger as they provide the majority of the stopping power. I would be real surprised if the front and rear rotors are the same size.

Reply to
John

It won't work but a more serious question is why the rears would wear out before the fronts? Elementary physics says that the fronts will wear out first. Hopefully there is a simple explanation like this is a used Jeep and the fronts have already been replaced once or twice.

Earle

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Earle Horton

could be driving with the emergency brake engaged or improperly adjusted Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

That would wear out the little drum inside the rear rotor...

I'd go for the fronts already having been done, or a very bad equalizer.

Coasty wrote:

Reply to
Lon

Reply to
ps56k
60K seems a tad low. I didnt need to touch the rears on a ZJ until just over 100K, and even then they really werent in any kind of danger.

ps56k wrote:

Reply to
Lon
60K seems a tad low. I didnt need to touch the rears on a ZJ until just over 100K, and even then they really werent in any kind of danger.
Reply to
Kate