91 crown vic/grand marquis AC question

does anyone know the charge weight for the 91 CV/GM??

my neighbor just bought one and the A/C don't work. i am going to pull a vacuum to check for leaks, but don't have any books new enough to tell me how much refrigerant to put back in.

Reply to
Tom

Mitchell sez; R-12 capacity- 44-52 ounces

Reply to
aarcuda69062

thanks.

i am sure the kids will appreciate having working AC this summer.

the dodge minivan the grand marquis is replacing puked its compressor last spring, and the thing was not worth the cost of a new compressor.

Reply to
Tom

Glad to assist.

When in doubt, charge until the inlet and outlet of the evaporator are the same temperature.

Easy to tell on a CCOT system like that one...

Reply to
aarcuda69062

my 88 superduty uses 48 ounces for a full charge, so i figured it would be about the same. when in doubt, i usually put in 36 ounces, and then go from there, but this is a 45k mile car so i want to do it properly.

she asked me to look at it, and we picked it up for $600 cause no one wants an "old gas guzzler" that gets 20 mpg on the highway, and 14-around town

this thing is spotless, was owned and driven by an old woman that passed away, and her son decided his 200k mile honda was a better car.

Reply to
Tom

I would only charge by weight to 75% and then check the gauges - make sure you don't overcharge. Your charging scale could be off (I've only seen the old-school graduated liquid charging cylinders in pictures) or they could put the wrong AC information sticker on the radiator support or in the repair manuals, so you always 'trust but verify'.

If it has leaked down to zero or had an open leak you need to replace the filter/drier, they get saturated very easily.

And if you see any signs of oil leaking out, check the oil level in the compressor before recharging. They don't live long at all if you run them without oil...

If you drive it conservatively 20/14 MPG isn't that bad, and is achievable real world. (Leadfoots need not apply.) Take good care of it, and it can be sold at a premium later to get something newer - or drive it lots of years and squeeze all the value out.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

where are you guys getting all this r12?

ds549