'99 Sport: Door won't unlock

Hi everybody, I have a 1999 Ford Explorer Sport, and ran into some trouble with it tonight, my driver side door won't unlock. I've tried with the remote control, the inside button, the inside handle, using the key outside, and the numeric keypad on the outside. The electronic systems try to unlock it, and I see it trying to move, but it won't go up all the way. With the key, it seems jammed, and I'm afraid to force it.

Has anyone else seen this problem? My first inclination is that it is a blown fuse, but I don't know if that would matter when using the key. Other than that, I can't think of a reason for it not working. Can anyone help? How should I proceed?

Here's some details, in case it helps: everything was going normal, I drove around 80 minutes through some muggy, light rain to get back home (using f/r wipers, defrosters, and also headlights and foglights). When I got to the parking lot, I turned off the lights then let it idle for a minute or two. I was looking at a map, so I had the map light and the radio on. When I turned the engine off, I kept the map light on and also the radio. I turned those off a minute or two later, then proceeded to exit. This was when I realized the door wouldn't budge. Eventually, I had to exit through the passenger side door.

Reply to
Usenet User

I have a 2000 XLT that wont unlock with the remote, inside button or the key but will unlock when I open from the inside door handle. Don't know the fix yet. My drivers side rear door wont open from the inside either. Tried to fix that myself but couldn't get any kind of close to it even with the inside door panel off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
annonymous

Hey My drivers passenger door won't open either, Hmmm. I think we may have an epidemic on our hands.

Since I don't get in or out the drivers pass door, I don't worry bout it. But if anyone has the answer, Please let us know.

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher 1

Hi Buddy, sorry I can't help, but I have the same problem with my rear hatch on my '98 XLT if anybody has any answers. My next SUV is gonna be a Toyota Highlander, I've had it with Ford's, cracked block, ball joints all replaced, etc. If I hadn't had a 100,000 mi extended warranty I would have been toast! Good riddance after this one. My wife wants a new Freestyle, looks nice, but uh uh.

Reply to
im_a_dreemer