93 Mustang (2.3) Tach Not Working, Engine light on.

I have a 93 ford Mustang and the tach isn't working, the check engine light is on. It's the 2.3 with the eight plugs. Any one have any suggestions on what to look at ? I mean, what usually causes this on this car ?

I might add that the head gasket was replaced. When I got the car it was all apart, I had to put it back together, the head was bolted on with a new gasket and tourqed down. (i know this was down right, my dad gave me the car and he did the work on it). But other than that, I had to put the rest back together.

I don't know how to get and read the codes that are stored in the computer on this car. I'd like to know how to do that as well.

Reply to
Mhzjunkie

here you go....

I'll guess O2 sensor fouled from coolant---but this a is BIG GUESS. Read the page.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

ShoeSalesman spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself

Hey thanks for the link, that will suit my needs. I've searched high and low online for a manual, no go. Any way, I've just today got the car running. It runs ok, it has a slight miss to it, but it's drivable. I'd say you're right about the O2 sensor. The car needed a head gasket (running hot) and a valve job, so it WAS running like a john deer tractor before the head was redone.

The folks my dad bought the car from were the type of folks that if the check engine light came on and the car still run, they'd just keep on pouring the coal to her. I reckon they drove it for ever and it running like a john deer tractor. Might have a couple a bad sensors. They ONLY thing they appear to have done, is kept the oil changed.

Reply to
Mhzjunkie