93 Taurus 3.0 hard to start after short shutdown

Any one had this problem? The car runs great,most all of the time. Once every two weeks,the engine will not start after shutting down for a short time and restarting it.( like going into a store and coming back out).after about 10 to

15 times it will restart and run fine???????? any help would be appreciated
Reply to
MSNIJ123

appreciated

Does it only happen when it's warm or hot outside, or regardless of the temperature outside? If it's the former, then there's a good chance that your ignition module has gone/ is going south on you.

Reply to
Racer X

This sounds like it could be a bad radiator coolant temperature sensor for the engines computer.

Did you change the oil religiously? Do you use fuel injector cleaner? How much mileage on the odometer? Tell us more about the car and how it was maintained.

Reply to
Eastward Bound

It has only just started so I don't know if it's a weather related problem. I have heard that it could be the fuel pump relay,but no one seems to know where it is? I do know that I can get one from the ford dealer for about $25.00 but I dont know where it is in the car to replace itand the parts man tells me he dosent know either ( he says I should just take it around to the service area and let them take care of it) I wonder how many Hundreds of dollars that'll be?? Anyone have any ideas I know it's not in the fuse box under the hood,nor by the radiator(thats a different control box)

Reply to
MSNIJ123

i had this problem with my 93 taurus, 3.0.. thinking it was the coil getting hot and not firing i went to auto zone and got a new one for $15.00 same thing.... it was like i could go and drive and no problem but when shutting it off it would not start up.. i then would open the hood and check every wire there and nothing.... the constant control relay the large 4 in. by 2 in. by 3 in metal box ontop of the radiator(remove the plastic tray from the top of the radiator) and tap onto the box when it wont start and if it starts right up then you know what it is.. i then put a pressure tester on the gas schrader valve and found that there was no gas pressure... it was the relay in this box that was sticking??? sometimes worked, sometimes not.... hope this helps....

Reply to
jim

there is no sererate fuel pump relay for the 93 taurus.. its inside a box with about three other relays(i tried to fix mine and took the cover off the CCR module, but it was too much electronics work for me and i wanted to get the car running...read my othere message to you and see if this helps... NAPA, nation auto parts association(

0 list the constant control relay for about $79.00)

this is the link to the NAPA web site, if it does not work then the part number i got from NAPA( local store) was part no. AR761, it was made for NAPA by ECHLIN.... i guess the ford dealer would have wanted about $180 for the same part??

Reply to
jim

Thanks Jim I'll Try it

Reply to
MSNIJ123

hey: this is the fix for your 3.0 L taurus if it is starving for fuel.. this is what i did to check out the CCR module(constand control realy module( on my 93 taurus, 3.0 L engine..

1-take off the plastic cover off the top of the radiator, 4 screws holding it on.. 2- look for CCR module (black box right on top of radiator about 4 in. by 3 in. by 2 in thick... it has a plug on the side of it with about 20 wires going to it.. unbolt the long screw that is holding the plug on the module... then look at the plug, it should have numbers on it from 1, 2,3, to 24... look for the No. 12 plug on this wire harness(the wire to it is Yellow) this is what you have to do... i used some sewing needles, the kind with plastic balls on the tops so you can shove them into the wires.. i shove a pin into the yellow wire and then took my multi meter and put it on voltage.. you then put the key on in the run position.... take one lead of your meter and put it on the pin in the yellow wire and the other lead on the negative battery post.. you should have 12 volts with the key on... if so then you are getting power so far from the battery then the key and through its fuse..... i then put the wire harness back on as i was sure the power was getting to the CCR module... to its interior relay inside the module.. put the wire harness back on and put a pin in the other wire(pink and black and see if you still get power... if not then its the CCR module.. if any questions let me know...
Reply to
jim

In my Haynes manual for 93 sable, pin 12 goes back to pin 1/2 (?? can't figure out?? ). Are we supposed to check pin 5 as well, which is the output to fuel pump? If somebody gives a formal sequence of steps to check if the fuel pump relay is faulty or not, that will be much appreciated. Also, since the CCR module is $150+, can you show how too hook up an external relay, instead of replacing the whole unit?

Reply to
Laguna

After Jims help, I just replaced the ccr module.It cost $130.00. I felt it was a good piece of mind to do so. Before I bought the new one,I opened the old one up and found that although they are high quality Bosch relays,they were sealed.Only after I replaced the module with the new one ,I opened the old modules relays with a dremel tool and found that one of the relays (relay K3 which is a 12 volt 40amp potted relay)(which I imagined was the fuel pump) to have pitted and carboned contacts. K4 (Which I believe is the radiator cooling fan relay) is the other large relay ,having the same values as K3 also had some pitting on its contacts as well( expected for 105,000 miles). So I figured since the module does other things,if I just cleaned the contacts and TRIED to get the relay covers back on and sealed up,shelling out the $130.00 for a new one would just be better. By the way Jim Thanks for the help!!

Reply to
MSNIJ123

glad to be of help.. yes i agree, i am kinda cheap and would love to have been able to just take the CCR moduel apart and fix it, but after opening it up i gave up too many other electronic stuff in there for me to mess with.... alot of resistors and capacitors, etc. .and who know what.. i thought it was just gonna be a few relays, but it was not.. i gave up and bought the new ccr module also.. i guess if this one last for 11 yrs.. well i might just keep the car also????

Reply to
jim

After following the problem in my Taurus 93, I found the problem was not the relay box, but the fuel pump. Fuel pump intermittently worked. Strangely enough, it never stopped during normal driving. Bun when you start the engine, the fuel pump didn't work. If you waited for an half hour, the it decided working..

Reply to
Laguna

Well, the ccr module fixed the problem for me. For almost a month and 700 miles ,not one problem (I guess I should've knocked on wood when I said That lol)

Reply to
MSNIJ123