Is H4 headlight bulb 'really' compatible with '99 Camry HB2 headlight system?

I need more light, and my research shows the Osram Silverstar H4 Halogen Headlamp bulbs to be the best. Is H4 = HB2 = 9003 really true? The best price I've found is $36 Cdn (~$28 US) for a pair delivered.

If these bulbs are compatible and you know of a cheaper 'delivered to Canader' price, please let me know.

I've had it with my weak headlights!

Thanks,

Norm

Reply to
Father Guido

You may have been here,..but did you check the voltage at the headlight while it was on with a multimeter on a volts range which handles 14 volts? They are normally perfectly bright enough I've found.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

?> If these bulbs are compatible and you know of a cheaper 'delivered to ?> Canader' price, please let me know. ?>

?> I've had it with my weak headlights! ?>

?> Thanks, ?>

?> Norm ? ?You may have been here,..but did you check the voltage at the headlight ?while it was on with a multimeter on a volts range which handles 14 volts? ?They are normally perfectly bright enough I've found. ? ?Jason ?

I have no doubt that the lights are getting the proper voltage, the lights are aimed properly, but the output is really dim, compared with other cars I drive. In fact the DRL during the day is as bright as the low beams. It could just be the bulbs, since I don't know how old they are, but if I'm going to replace them then I want the best.

Toyota changed the bulbs for the 2000/2001 models even though it that wasn't an overhaul year, so they must have realized something wasn't the best with the HB2 design. So a brighter bulb should help compensate somewhat.

So is H4 compatible with my '99 Camry?

Thanks

Reply to
Father Guido

I dont want tobe argumentative, but if they are really dim,..they cant have the proper battery supply. Somewhere there is a poor connection which at those amperages should have showm some over heating as well.

Poor resistance joints need only have one ohm of series resistance to cook the insulation.at that point. The formula is Power in watts = current squared times rsistance in ohms.

compared with

Apparently, according to the net search I did,..they are as long as they are the original wattage. They generate light by a different gas-method, which gives substantial luminence gains without increasing wayys,

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

?> Toyota changed the bulbs for the 2000/2001 models even though it that ?> wasn't an overhaul year, so they must have realized something wasn't ?> the best with the HB2 design. So a brighter bulb should help ?> compensate somewhat. ?>

?> So is H4 compatible with my '99 Camry? ?>

?> Thanks ? ?Apparently, according to the net search I did,..they are as long as they are ?the original wattage. They generate light by a different gas-method, which ?gives substantial luminence gains without increasing wayys, ? ? ?Jason ?

Thanks Jason, I guess I will check to make sure all connections are proper first, and then I'll clean the plastic lens inside and outside to see if that makes any difference too.

Reply to
Father Guido