'94 Crown Vic....dual exhaust?

Greetings:

I just found a real nice '94 Crown Vic with the 4.6L SOC engine. The car has single exhaust and I would like to upgrade it to duals.

Does the single exhaust system use dual catalitics, in which case I can cut the Y pipe and have duals custom made (stainless)?

Any idea what the largest pipe can be use to fabricate the pipes?

It's a Canadian vehicle, whether that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Tedd.

I would imagine that they use two separate cats. My 1983 grand marquis had two, and then they combined to one pipe, and we made it into dual exhaust. You could surly crawl under it and check.

You said it's a Canadian vehciles.... do you live in Canada? I don't know what kind of emission laws they have... would they let you cut the cats off? I'd think not, but I don't know for sure.

Nic

Reply to
Robotnik

Factory H-pipe & dual exhaust will bolt right up to the converters - no emissions penalty - will take you from 190hp to 210hp... Check here too:

All the parts for your system are pictured here... just follow the prompts for dual exhaust. If you want to see the differences, follow the prompts for single exhaust.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

It is equiped with a cat on each side. The pipes to the muffler is connected by a pair of bolted flanges behind the cats. To make it emissions legal duals (some locals permit no exhaust modification), there are a couple of approaches. The simplest is to have a shop unbolt the left side and cut the connector going to the right side and cap the stub. Then, you can have a left side exhaust custom made with a muffler similar to the factory unit or install a pair of your chioce. Re-connecting the stub to the new left side as a crossover pipe will give it a bit more torque on the bottom end which the 4.6 can use. The best way is factory bolt-on. You can buy the factory replacement "H" pipe and the left side muffler and tailpipe along with the hangers. The only hangup here is disassembling the left side muffler from the pipe so that it can be re-used. Many shops can custom build a dual exhaust setup with good sounding mufflers at a reasonable price leaving the factory cats in place and emissions legal. My personal choice would be to use the factory "H" pipe and have a shop build it from there back so that the crossover would be in the correct place to best help the engine on the torque side of performance. A shop couls also make the "H" pipe if they know the correct location of the crossover. Keep in mind the crossover is not a mandatory feature unless you are looking to get the performace improvement of the factory duals.

Reply to
lugnut

============= I would set it up exactly like the police version. Dont let anyone talk you into larger pipe ect.

Reply to
Scott M

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I called my local Mufflerman here in Kitchener, Ontario and found that they have all the parts needed to change it from single to dual in stock!

Not a bad price either. With all taxes and labour, a total of $430 CAN which works out to about $300 US :) It includes a new H pipe, one new muffer, and 1 tail pipe.

The only worry I have, is that the little 4.6 has 230K Km, or about

150K miles on it. It has had regular maintenence and the receipts to prove it. It passed emissions back in November 2003.

Should I worry about the high mileage? The tranny shifts very well and the engine will easily outpull my '88 Crown Vic (302).

Thanks again!

The major concern in that vintage 4.6L is it's tendency to high oil consumption because of failed valve guide seals. This is an expensive repair on the 4.6 if done by a dealer. I did my own after buying the special tool required to do the job. Other tools are common in the tool boxes of well equipped DIY'rs. If yours does not have the oil consumption problem by now, I would not worry about it. The 4.6L is an extremely reliable and long life engine with reasonable maintenance. Even after the valve seals fail, it will continue as if nothing is wrong for 10's (maybe 100's) of thousands of miles without problems.

Another little elusive PITA problem is what usually starts as an intermittent no-start problem. They have a tendency to setup corrosion in the switch connection to the starter solenoid. The fix is to clean and tighten the connection and apply a good electrical anti corrosion paste. There is also a service bulletin on this which gives instructions and part number to install an improved connector.

As far as the chassis is concerned, you can expect that the lower ball joints are likely in need of replacement if you haven't already. It will not give the typical symptoms of funky driving characteristics like most vehicles until they are way too worn for safe operation.

Reply to
lugnut

Thanks for the great service report Mr Lugnut! I will be purchasing the car in the next week or so. It is replacing my '88 CV, which has served me very very well.

I will occasionally be pulling a 24 foot travel trailer, so will have to look into getting a tranny cooler and Class 3 hitch.

Should be fun pulling that trailer with 270 ci engine!!