94 Escort LX Clutch Replacement Cost?

At 128K miles, the original clutch in our 94 Escort LX 1.9L 5 Speed is finally starting to show signs that It's Time. Intermittent moderate slipping is evident on hard acceleration at highway speeds from say 60 to 75 in fifth when engine RPM hits about 4K, although it still engages smoothly and is not slipping when driven gently.

What can I expect to have to shell out for a clutch job at a decent indy shop in my area (SE Connecticut)? The car is otherwise running very solid for its age and mileage.

Chris Bowne Stonington, CT

Reply to
Chris Bowne

I had a clutch replaced in a 93 escort in 2003 by a Firestone affiliate. $600 incl taxes etc. Included clutch, pressure plate and thrust bearing.

The car is otherwise running very solid

They are virtually indestructible. Got rid of mine after the air failed (compressor seized). Too expensive to fix but ran fine otherwise. You need air in Tennessee.

JP

Reply to
JP White

Thanks for the info - $600 is about what I was thinking myself. Definitely worth a go - I have been amazed how reliable the car has been over the years and miles. Amazed I got 128K out of the clutch also! My air is still ice cold, so I'll keep my fingers crossed on the AC! When your compressor siezed, was the car still driveable with the AC off/AC clutch disengaged? Could get by here in CT w/o AC if so, for the car's main role now as a to work and back commuter.

It's > > At 128K miles, the original clutch in our 94 Escort LX 1.9L 5 Speed is

Reply to
Chris Bowne

My clutch went out at 170k, I did a lot of highway driving so it didn't get that much use vs the miles I did. Eventually traded it at 194k a few years later. Other than routine maintenance, only a few items needed repairing during the 7 years I owned it the clutch being the most expensive.

I had the timing belt replaced at 120k (meant to be every 60k). It's a non-interference engine, but I still didn't want to get stranded. I took Firestones advice and replaced the water pump at the same time since the belt drives the pump. If you do all the routine maintenance it should never let you down. I NEVER got stranded on the side of the road in the

7 years I had it.

My air is still ice

Yes, as long as kept the A/C switched off it ran just fine. With the a/c switched on the drag from the seized compressor was enough to stall the engine.

That's what I used it for.

Reply to
JP White