94 Ford crown vic. steering noises

Hi! thanx for all on help with rough idle on 94 crown vic - was a vacuum line. This car has intermittently squealed and groaned when turning - it comes and goes. Steering effort is maybe a bit harder - bled the pump, etc. but can find nothing obvious. I have heard other fords on the road with the same noise , though not as bad as this one .Doesnt look like any excess paly in front end parts. Any help would be appreciated! thanx, bob d.

Reply to
ignatz

Power steering pump is the likely culprit. The solution is to replace it. Rodney

Reply to
Rodney

What condition is the belt in, new or old? How about the belt tension? For the price of a new belt not much to lose in replacing it first before anything else.

Reply to
sleepdog

Just for kicks, lube up the steering stops on the lower control arms. I've had lots of complaints of noise while turning that came down to this. CVs grunt, groan, squeak on (full lock) turns. The lower control arms have protrusions which contact the spindles on full turns. The motion of the suspension allows these 2 parts to rub together causing noise when dry. Look on the back side of the lower control arms for a V shaped bracket protruding out. Slather grease on this point. Tom

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Hi! I would be happy to try this! thanx for the help! I will let you know how it turned out. bob d.

Reply to
ignatz

Hi! Injected some grease into the right upper ball joint ,and noise is almost gone - must be out of grease, but not loose yet, thankfully. Thanx to all for the help. bob d.

Reply to
ignatz