94 Ford Explorer hard start when engine warm and warm weather

I have a 94 Ford Explorer w/ 117, 000 miles

Late last summer my Explorer developed the symptom of hard starting after it has been driven. Then the weather turned cold and the problem went away. Now it is becoming more of a problem since the weather is in the 90's during the day.

When it does finally start it runs rough and a little black smoke. In order to start it I have to crank it for 45 seconds or more. Somehow I doubt that will increase the life of the starter.

Thanks

snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com

Reply to
dekker

dekker opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Try flooring the accelerator when you start it...

report back

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I MEAN hold the pedal to the floor, not pump it

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

This happened to me a 1 or 2 years ago with my 1994 Explorer also. By accident I discovered that it was the type of gas I was using. I normally purchase gas that I believe has 10% ethanol in it.

Recently I drove to Florida and decided to put a stay away from gasoline that had ethanol. The one time that I accidentaly put this type of gas in my Explorer, it did not start and I thought I would be stuck in a remote town of Tennessee. Eventually it started, and from then on I put non-ethanol gas in my Explorer and it drove flawlessly the rest of the trip. Incidentally, the Explorer has 197,000 miles on it.

A couple days ago, out of curiosity, I put in the gas that had ethonal in the Explorer again. As expected I ended up getting stuck in a car lot for about half an hour before it would start finally. I am now certain that the type of gas makes a huge difference on whether or not these older Explorers will start.

The gasoline that worked for me was Amoco, however you should be able to find a brand that will work just fine for you. Give it a shot, it costs nothing.

Good Luck, Chris

Reply to
Chris

I thought this model had fuel injection and flooring it while cranking would have no effect.

Thanks

Reply to
Same A Before