97 and 99 Sentra's hard to start

Both are GXE automatics. From time to time both have suddenly refused to start for no apparent reason. If I hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank the starter for about 30 seconds they will finally start and run rough for a bit then run OK. The problem only happens now and then. Any ideas on what is wrong?

Reply to
triplethreat

I've seen this on my daughter's Subaru and suspect this can happen to other cars as well. it could be the engine's termperature sensor; it measures the coolant temperature and adjusts accordingly.

Regards, Remco

Reply to
Remco

This happens to my car as well. If you have someone pinch the gas line going to the fuel filter while you try and start it. It may take a few times but this will work. The problem is you need new spark plugs. I know this sounds crazy, but it works.

Reply to
John