'97 Explorer V8 won't start

For some reason, I can't start my '97 Eddie Bauer Explorer. I original thought it maybe the battery, but I let it fast charge for ~1 hr and still can't get the Explorer to start; all it does is crank. Also, I noticed that the EATC worked when I first tried to start, but after a couple of starting tries, it now remains off, and does not allow you to turn it back on! Could it be a relay problem that is linked to the starting issue? I doubt there is a problem with the battery (1 yr old) or even the starter.

Reply to
Xx

Since the motor cranks (normally??), I think it safe to rule out starter and battery. Next steps are to check for spark, fuel pressure and fuel injector pulse. You will need some diagnostic guidance to help you avoid throwing unnecessary parts at the car - I suggest a Haynes or Chiltons manual.

Jim Warman

Problem with the ignition switch? Does the radio work? Do all the warning lights on the gauge cluster come on when you turn the key on? How about the fuel pump cutoff relay?

Reply to
JaWise

All warning lights do work. The fuel pump cutoff switch is down. Had a guy from AAA look at it. Turns out engine must of flooded with various attempts to start it, and he just held the gas pedal down while starting it.

Reply to
Xx

I had a similar problem. My 98 EB w/V8 was backed up a hill with less than a 1/4 tank of gas in it. Rolled it level, started right up.

Mark

Reply to
Mark T