94 Topaz starting problems, help please!

Ok folks, looking for some help here. 94 Mercury Topaz, simular to ford tempo. Positive battery cable constaly corrodes at the postive terminal. Replaced the connection, got new battery, still is corroding. Last few nights (cold) darned thing would'n't start untill I moved the battery connection. This last time, it didn't start untill after I did that, and I pumped the gas pedal - temp outside was a nice 35 degrees F. Prior to 2 nights ago, I have not had this non-starting problem.. Question, could it be the starter going out, or the starter relay? Or should I replace the entire postive battery cable? And final question - where can I find those red rubber boots that cover the postive battery connection? Im thinking of getting rid of the "wrap around" connector that I have now, and going back to the old clamp type that were used years ago and still are in some cases. Thanks for any help..

Reply to
wizardofsnog

The corrosion isnt due to the type of connection, it's due to poor contact of the connection.

If you install a new battery without cleaning the connector thoroughly, corrosion will naturally come right back. And since that is actually 'oxidation' that means air is infiltrating.

Oxidation 'migrates' from minute currents set up right next to a point of current flow and eats into the actual contact area. The stuff you see as a result is chemical product from moisture in air, oxygen, and the metals involved. But it wont happen if the contact/conducting area doesnt see oxygen

Clean inside and posts thoroughly with wire brush, same as used in copper fitting plumbing.

Coat both the inside of connectors and the posts with either electrical contact grease or plumber's silicone grease (I prefer this, has a LOT of uses) avail at Lowes, etc.

Install firmly, with twisting motion.

As to the pos term covers, try NAPA... but dont recall ever seeing them in parts stores.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Backyard Mechanic wrote in news:Xns9743577B8B943pettyfogery@207.115.17.102:

THANKS. Will try that.. I also noticed that one time I had to mess with the shifter. Took it out of park, and back into park.. wonder if the neutral safty switch is acting up too.. Oh well..

Reply to
wizardofsnog

Poor connections can be "nefarious".... good one second, bad the next. In addition to BYMs recommendations you can smear the outside of the battery connections with some more grease.... it doesn't need to be globbed on. Some will use a burst of paint from a spray bomb but my preference is for some extra grease to keep oxygen away from the metals.

Reply to
Jim Warman