95 Crown Vic

I'm having loud squealing noise with my crown vic. When I was at the dealer he said something about the pitman arm needing lubrication. This problem happens when I'm going straight or turning and is embarrassing when pulling up in front of people because it makes it seems as the car is a real clunker. Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Grotto_Lotto

If it was the pitman it would only squeak when turning(not squeal) and not likely anyway...(I have seen a CV ball joint squeak when turning but its not common.) If the noise happens when ever the engine is running, car moving or not, it is most likely a pulley bearing or the belt. You must open the hood and look for the problem. :)

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

I don't see how the pitman arm is going to squeal. Have someone at the dealer or other shop go for a ride with you and identify the noise. Then get an estimate and decide whether to repair it. You are driving a 10+ year old vehicle and some would consider that a clunker just based on its age. You don't have to announce your arrival at a traffic light with strange noises.

Reply to
Al Bundy

wrote

Does it go away or change when you press the brake pedal? Pads may be worn, and the springy indicators are rubbing the rotors. (Unless it also squeals when you're sitting still)

Reply to
MasterBlaster

Shoe, Al, & Master,

Thanks for your insights, but I'm still working on the problem, although I've yet to see another mechanic, yet. But I must confess that might original description may not be totally accurate in that it is not quite a loud squeal, but more of a very load creaking. It doesn't happen when I'm stopped and until a few days ago was intermitent. Could it need some grease? Are there grease zerqs(sp) on this model?

Reply to
Grotto_Lotto

wrote

If it's one of the ball joints (control arm, tie rod, or pitman arm) creaking, you can usually isolate which one it is by having a friend bounce the front end or turn the steering wheel back and forth (just enough to make the noise) while you reach under and feel each joint for telltale vibrations. If the noise is only when bouncing, check the rubber sway bar mounts too.

If a joint is dry enough to be making noise, it's also dry to enough to seize up when you least expect it, and possibly breaking, which can lead to a complete loss of steering control.

Autozone has some info ....

as well as a nice under-car pic of your front end, with little arrows pointing to most of the relevant parts ....

MasterBlaster

Do you mean like over bumps? If so, on a CV I would suspect lower control arm bushings. I don't think it will have any grease fittings. You really should take it to a front end/alignment shop to have it checked out. You can easiely check the bushings by checking to see if the bolt that goes through the bushing is centered to the bushing. It should be.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:53:35 GMT, "MasterBlaster"

WOW!!! Thank you all, for help and links. I think I'll go back to the dealer as he may have been striaght with me and actually treated me well in another matter.

Reply to
Grotto_Lotto