95 Escort Hesitation

I have a 95 Escort Wagon with about 160k miles on it. It's been extremely reliable, but recently it has developed a hesitation problem. It happens periodically, particularly after a downshift (its manual). My first guess is its the plugs. I replaced the plugs maybe 1.5-2 years ago with Bosch Platinums. I pulled them out and they look like they are in decent shape, but not perfect. Is it likely the plugs or should I suspect something else? I don't mind plunking down $6 for new plugs, but I'd rather not play guess and check with a $100+ coil pack and half a dozen other things.

dan

Reply to
blah

The first thing you need to do is ditch the Bosch Plats and install Motorcraft single platinum or copper spark plugs. Many Ford engines, including the 1.9/2.0 in your Escort have issues with Bosch Platinums. They exhibit all sorts of drivability concerns. Nobody seems to know exactly why.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

I would also switch beck to the OEM plugs.

Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

Reply to
scott21230