97 Aerostar Power Steering Pump

About a year ago the PS pump leaked and the new one whined almost as bad = as the old one. Mechanic said they all do that. Pissed me off because = I paid extra to get one directly from Ford. Rack & pinion also leaked = and had him put in a rebuilt one shortly after that. About a month ago = I started noticing drips. Everything is out of warranty now of course.

Any suggestions what to do at this point? I read that it could work to = pull a vacuum on the pump but I really don't want to get into fixing = this all over again. Would much rather kick the Ford service manager in = the balls. LOL!!!

It's a shame that everything else in this van works great except the PS. = I can't stand for it to be making so much noise. =20

Bob

Reply to
Guv Bob

Any suggestions what to do at this point? I read that it could work to pull a vacuum on the pump but I really don't want to get into fixing this all over again. Would much rather kick the Ford service manager in the balls. LOL!!!

It's a shame that everything else in this van works great except the PS. I can't stand for it to be making so much noise.

Bob

Try leaving the level half way to the full mark, mine would always whine if topped off.

Reply to
George Jetson

Put some PS conditioner in - If you have a BG distributor in your area their products are excellent.

Another thing that has quieted Ford pumps is ford friction modifier (stocked by dealers for differentials)

Reply to
clare

Thanks, I'll check those out. Do you really need to add these with a = new rebuilt pump?

George, the level should be OK - I keep it low and it is not leaking.

Reply to
Guv Bob

Clare, what is BG?

Reply to
Guv Bob

Sadly, yes. The pumps have a history of being noizy from the get-go - and if you can quiet them down they seem to last longer.

Reply to
clare

BG Chemicals - originally stood for "bearings and gears". See

for more information from one ofthe distributors. BG Power Steering Conditioner is the product touse. They also have a cleaner that is usefull on a system that hasexperienceda component failure and the fluid is deteriorated. Cleansthe crap out so you can put in clean fluid.

Reply to
clare