850 Wagon Door Won't Lock

Help! We are getting ready to drive out of town for the weekend and our '96 850 wagon's door won't stay shut. Previously I thought it had to do with out rear door inside panel coming loose and maybe blocking the door from closing all the way, because when I resecured it the door closed fine.

Now, even after I've removed the lower half of the rear door panel, the door still will not lock. I poked around in the locking mechanism but can't see anything wrong. No, there's nothing blocking the catch either.

Any suggestions on how to fix this quickly, so the dog doesn't fall out along the way?

Thanks.

Reply to
Phil Lefebvre

I saw this once, and the rivets holding the halves of the latch mechanism together had come loose. I took it out, and tried to figure out what was wrong, but the mechanism was too complicated. I just tightened the rivets with a hammer and punch and reinstalled hoping for the best... and it worked fine afterwards.

Reply to
Mike F

Sorry for the late reply, but we also had a failure of the lock mechanism. Simply had it replaced and all is well.

Gus

Reply to
Gus

Well, I seem to have fixed it for the moment by simply poking inside the mechanism and loosening the catch that lines up the latch. It was not releasing the latch properly for some reason. After doing that it has worked fine all weekend. Most vexing was passing three Volvo dealers along the way, but all were closed. Will have it looked at later.

Reply to
Phil Lefebvre