Door Frozen Shut - a fluke because it's 7 degrees, or common in '03 OBW?

Hi everyone,

I have a '03 OBW that I got 2 weeks ago. This morning when I unlocked the doors the back driver's-side door would not open. Which is a pain because I usually put my bags/purse back there, and that's where my snowbrush is. Anyway, at first I thought the lock was messed up. But when I got to work I tried the passenger-side doors, and they opened, although the rear door did stick a little and then "unfroze" and then popped open when I pulled harder. But no matter how hard I pulled, with both hands, I could not get the back driver's-side door to open. I drove it yesterday and it was fine and not stuck/froze at all.

In fairness, it IS 7 degrees outside this morning. But it was this colder and even colder right after I first got the car, and the doors all opened just fine then.

Common problem, or did I just get moisture between the door and frame causing it to freeze shut this time?

Reply to
M. Baker

Well, it's common for me.

But that said, that happened with every other car I have ever owned too.

One thing I do, is when I wash it I take a rag and open the doors I want to work and dry them right away. That way there is less moisture to freeze.

I used to use a very small bit of sillicone lubricant (spray on paper towel, mash around with another towel, then use the second towel to wipe the seals). But, I am not convinced that it doesnt hurt the seals. Do that once at the beginning of the cold season and you might keep it opening nicely more often.

Reply to
.._..